Build Thread - Estes Venus Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not understand that comment...I flew it on C6-3's and it was just slightly underpower....maybe 200-250 feet. And since it comes down in 2 pieces, I am afraid launching on a D 12 and you lose a piece..so try those new C5's.....the smaller tube...if I remember can be somewhat fragile............and only issue I had with plastic cement is cementing alien into capsule...took a few times of trying to cement him in. If you ever lose the alien...I have him safely here on earth... Lose the booster to a tree.

I don't really want to take chances after the miserable experience I had with the Outlander, another underpowered kit. I have a D13-4W reload I'm planning to use for the first flight. I'm sure that will fly it safely.

Sometimes people have different experiences with kits. Like I said, I'm not sure if I was an impatient kid and didn't allow the cement to cure fully or if it was an old tube of cement that lost its effectiveness. Regardless, I went with the 30 minute epoxy this time, with good scuffed up bonding surfaces and a couple of thru-holes allowing "rivets" to form. I think it has a sporting chance this time of passing the leg swing test.

Don't know if you need it, but I'm down here in the shop weighing my rockets to correlate parachute sizes. Without motors or wadding, the Venus Probe booster weighs 90 grams, the lander and chute 100 grams! That surprised me. Great job so far!

Alien installed in the capsule with 30 minute epoxy. I ended up sticking the alien into the booster and putting it into the capsule while in the booster to align it, then carefully removing the booster without jarring the alien. Unfortunately the alien doesn't fit in a specific spot and is free to wobble, which could spell disaster if it gets bumped to the side during cure.

20210502_173501.jpg

Funny story about that, it's from the same can of Testor's Yellow that I originally bought to paint the alien on my first attempt 20+ years ago. I'm impressed the can is as old as it is and still works.
Things usually yellow with age. I guess if it’s yellow to begin with......

Nice! How well is is packin’, trying to get two chute and wadding in there? I found it tough.

Sorry w/o Alien you almost kill the fun of the kit.
Well it's still a cool landing gear setup and mine usually landed upright until a pivot broke.
Maybe I need to investigate what it will take to make a new part.

Hmm. I put my large 'chute on the booster, and the smaller one on the lander. Or are my eyes tricking me? Or did I foul it up? Or did you, or maybe you did it on purpose? It would be cool to have the alien taking his time, who cares about the booster when a Visitation is occurring?

Really nice job you're doing. I wrinkled my wraps in a couple of places...

Hmm. I put my large 'chute on the booster, and the smaller one on the lander. Or are my eyes tricking me? Or did I foul it up? Or did you, or maybe you did it on purpose? It would be cool to have the alien taking his time, who cares about the booster when a Visitation is occurring?

Really nice job you're doing. I wrinkled my wraps in a couple of places...

Per the instructions, the larger parachute goes on the lander.

There are a couple of wrinkles in the wraps, but they are small enough to go unnoticed. Self-adhesive wraps are difficult to apply well. (unless they are that vinyl wrap material like you get from StickerShock, but that's too expensive for Estes kits) I really prefer the waterslides for small rockets since they are easier to apply neatly, but late 90's/early 00's Estes kits had stickers for whatever reason.

Thanks! So I DID foul it up...! I don't think I have my instructions any more. Well, like my daddy always told me, "Son, there's no sense being stupid if you never show anyone!"

Per the instructions, the larger parachute goes on the lander.

There are a couple of wrinkles in the wraps, but they are small enough to go unnoticed. Self-adhesive wraps are difficult to apply well. (unless they are that vinyl wrap material like you get from StickerShock, but that's too expensive for Estes kits) I really prefer the waterslides for small rockets since they are easier to apply neatly, but late 90's/early 00's Estes kits had stickers for whatever reason.
This Venus Probe Build Thread is awesome. Will be fun to watch. Great Job.

Back