Build Thread: Estes V2 Up-power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yupp,
those stock balsa fins can take a beating:

Flew my CanArrow today on F35W in a 24/60
casing, took off like shot, strong straight boost
and apogee close to 2000'.... Coulda used a 11sec
delay instead of 8sec but was close enough for
no damage....

There's absolutely no need for plywood fins
on the V2's and CanArrows...
:D

One of these days I'll try 24mm ProX....

I ran into a problem with my second coat of white paint. I am using Krylon and waited about 60 hours before doing the second coat since it seems pretty sensitive to cure time. I ended up with an area of wrinkled paint on one fin near the body. :mad: I'll need to sand down the area, reprime and repaint. I guess I will wait at least 4 days between applications this time. I was sort of thinking of painting the black sections by hand but now I am sure that is the way I will go. Anyone know of problems putting, say , Testors on top of Krylon?

New Krylon is enamel,
methinks Testors is lacquer.

Enamel over lacquer usually works,

Lacquer over enamel usually doesn't....

YMMV...

I am a little confused. You say the rocket sims as marginal on a D12, but you are planning on using an E9. If the D12 is marginal then the E9 should not even be considered as it is a much lower thrust motor.

You can do it under ideal conditions
for a scale-like slow lift-off like the real things did...

I checked. Testors is enamel.

Clarification: I was trying to say that the D12 would be marginal because the weight of the rocket is just over the max recommended weight. The simulation didn't mention any issues. Should have been more clear in my post. The simulations say a D12 would get it about 250 feet while the E9 would get it to over 500. Just want to check it with the lower power, with a margin for enough altitude to deploy the chute, before I use E15/E30/F32. The E9 should be okay unless it is really windy. As Roadkill mentioned, you will get a slow liftoff and it looks pretty cool.

I flew my "regulation" Estes V2 on a C11 (60% less recommended max liftoff weight than the D12) and it had a short flight but a little slower take off. It was fairly windy but it didn't weathercock too much. Plus I didn't have to walk very far to get it back! :)

If your rocket is over the max weight for the D12, it is way over the weight limit for the E9. The BP E9 has less lifting power than the D12, it just burns long enough to tip it into E range.

If a rocket won't fly on D12, don't even try the Estes E9; bad things will happen...

G.D.

It looks like the paint issue is fixed. I sanded the wrinkled area and touched up with Testors. Looks okay so far.

I was cleaning out a box of old kits and found an ASP 24mm V2 kit among the contents. Looks like I'll have another V2 in my fleet! :D

I finished the painting except for a little touch up here and there. Here's a photo of it next to my old V2 built "to spec". I'm going to let the paint sit for a while and then add the decals. I probably won't get to fly it until at least late April, more likely May, so it will be a display model for the time being. I'll post more photos after I get the decals on.

PaintingComplete.jpg

Oh yes ,that turned out very nice.....good work !! I`m in the same boat ,got to wait till April/May to fly.

Paul

Thanks. Now I just have to do the decals. Not my forte but the tips that came with the decals from Excelsior should help a lot.

When I get a chance to build the ASP kit I think I will go for the US yellow-black scheme. Should make a nice fleet! :D

Looks good in the one picture. Why only one picure? Is there something you don't want us to see? ;)

There are a few spots where the black slightly bled under the masking tape that need touch up. They seem to be in the opposite side in the view I posted. :rolleyes: I'll take more photos when I get a chance to get the decals on. I am not sure I got the fin patterns exactly correct but I wasn't aiming for scale. As I mentioned, I have an ASP 24mm V2 kit. I think I will go for a more carefully scaled product when I do that one.

I sometimes find if you don`t point things out,most people won`t notice.

We can after all ,be our own worst critics !

Paul

I compared the scale and non-scale fins in the older Estes V2 plans and used the ratios to devise a newer fin for this build. It is not intended to be an exact scale but should be closer to the real thing and thus look better.

That worked out well (photo in post #39), the profile is close to the real deal.
Where did you get the fin mod. idea from?

I compared the scale and non-scale fins in the older Estes V2 plans and used the ratios to devise a newer fin for this build. It is not intended to be an exact scale but should be closer to the real thing and thus look better.

That worked out well (photo in post #39), the profile is close to the real deal.

I estimated from the older Estes V2 plan that included the option of scaling the fins. (I had the plan but not the kit.) The roll pattern is a composite of many photos from the web, both actual and model versions of this particular round. I didn't find a single source for four 90 degree shots.

I looked again and I think I didn't actually answer the question. I started this build as strictly a modification to allow longer 24mm engines. You and others convinced me to make it a little more realistic in scale since I was modifying the kit any way. Glad I did.

It is sitting on the shelf for a while, waiting for its decals. Between work and the holidays I am a little pressed for time. :(

Wow!! I hadn't realized how long it had been since I posted here. :eyepop:

I have not gotten to finish this project, as you may have surmised. I got caught up in some other work and kept putting off the decals. Then late this spring my wife and I went to Australia for a few weeks. :) I can't fly the V2 until CMASS is using their larger field and I couldn't have it ready in time for the first launch which was just after we returned. :( I will be doing field work in Canada when they have the next one in July so I have spent time repairing and building smaller stuff for flying in the smaller venues they use. I think I will finish the decals soon so I can post the pre-maiden flight photos. Said flight will happen this fall.

Once I am caught up I plan to do another V2 in the yellow/black scheme. Any suggestions on which yellow is correct? It sort of looks like a canary yellow in the photos. :confused:

Seen one, touched one at the imperial war museum in London, England.

Andrew

I can check the other threads but I think Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow is the right color. I won't use Krylon based on recent experience. :mad: Not sure if Rustoleum is better but I'm sure I'll find good advice in the techniques threads.

Okay, here they are. I just have to put a protective coat on this baby and she's done. Hopefully the next photos are of a successful maiden flight! :D

IMGP0278.jpg

IMGP0276.jpg

IMGP0275.jpg

IMGP0274.jpg

I.m jealous. May painting skills suck. That is one great looking V-2 and if I remember the one I saw at the Royal War Museum was painted like that.

Thanks for uploading the pictures.

Andrew

I haven't posted for a while. Just want to let everyone know I will finally be able to launch this guy in September. CMASS will be at their larger field and I can't wait. I know it will be a perfect flight! ;)

I am almost finished an old ASP V2 kit and will post a picture here as well as in a V2 gallery. Just need to touch up a few spots and then put the decals on. This will be the yellow-black version with the pin-up. I liked the kit but the nose cone was extremely soft. I had fill little dings several times. I may fly this one sooner since it can go on smaller engines. I'll take lots of photos though. It may get banged up pretty easily. The Estes kit is a lot tougher.

Here are some photos of the ASP V2 I just finished. The scheme is the third US V2 launch, May 10, 1946. I will probably fly it this weekend on a C11. The kit says B4 or C5 are possible but the rocket alone weighs 130g. I am posting these in a V2 gallery as well. Have to remember what it looked like in pristine condition in case it gets dinged up of ends up in a tree.:eek:

Mike

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

This may convince me to go to the CMASS launch this W/E. I like watching the HPR launch at Amesbury, MA site.

Back