Build Thread: Estes Honest John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use heavy cutters for Kevlar, don't want to risk my finer cutters on that.

As for the retainers, I've used plain old Bob Smith epoxy (15 or 30 minute) with no problems whatsoever. For the motors I fly heat is not that much of an issue. And yeah, apply the epoxy to the tube and slip the retainer over it. :)

Seems to me that you have a really good handle on this build! As for the decor and adherence to the recommended paint scheme, I've always been the kind to stray from the facecard and make my own look because that makes it MY rocket and not just another of whatever model. Case in point, this is my Estes QCC Explorer with a twist on the paint job:

qcc.jpg

Decided to go with more of just an airfoil shape. I couldn't get the hang of the diamond fin. I'll need to practice more with this.
1618016571185.png

Got the motor mount secured with super glue gel, was careful to not get superglue around the shock cord, as I read this can cause it to get brittle.
1618016607634.png
Got the fins tacked on and in the jig, I'll work on fillets with epoxy when I secure the screw on retainer.
1618016619558.png

Glued the Stand-Offs and Launch Lugs to the Body Tube. Cut out the paper ring to go around the middle of the tube, and I can absolutely see why the 3d printed one that @nosecone mentioned would be worth it.

1618063487067.png 1618063508134.png

Once the glue on the LLs dries, I'm going to work on the fins/retainer. Then I can glue on the Motor Ring and let things dry for the day.

Glued the Stand-Offs and Launch Lugs to the Body Tube. Cut out the paper ring to go around the middle of the tube, and I can absolutely see why the 3d printed one that @nosecone mentioned would be worth it.

View attachment 459238 View attachment 459239

Once the glue on the LLs dries, I'm going to work on the fins/retainer. Then I can glue on the Motor Ring and let things dry for the day.
Put masking tape around the tube to use as a guide for the paper ring.

Got everything glued/epoxied on. It was a perfect 70º outside, so I took my work out in the Sun so I couldget some much needed Vitamin D while I made my rockets 🚀☀️

1618144423121.png 1618144452237.png

Going to start hitting it with White Primer today when the Sun returns.

Even with unconventional paint schemes, I've seldom found a rocket that looked better without the decals. Of course, you don't have to use the decals that came with the kit. I have a stack of generic pine-car decals that have all manner of stylized numbers, flames, vents, pinstripes, lightning bolts, etc. Maybe something outside the kit box would be fun.

not *exactly* like it should be, but I am enjoying how it is coming together. Still debating whether or not to add the decals...
View attachment 459953

VERY excited to see how she flies this weekend!
I like it very much. The Blue color is about the same shade Im going to paint my Up scale Micron rocket. Can you also use E motors in it? Good luck flying it. I hope you get some videos of it.

Has anyone created a Rocksim file for this Honest John? I downloaded the ork file from K'Tesh but after converting to a Rocksim file, it won't fly.

Took the fleet out to launch this morning in soupy weather.
1618704320683.png
...broke the launch lug from of the stand-off while installing the igniter. :( . It seems as though the outside layer of the lug ripped off, the glue did not fail. Will have to try again next launch

Back