Build Thread -- Estes Greyhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was encouraged to post some pictures of this first build of a Greyhawk. I know it is not going to be perfect -- and I am doing some of this on the fly -- but I like the progress so far. I have pulled as many pictures / details as I could from this forum and elsewhere. I am working from the old Estes instructions since this kit is OOP. So it won't be perfect, but it will be fun!

Attachments

• Greyhawk V1-1.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk V1-2.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk V1-3.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk V1-4.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk V1-5.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk V1-6.jpg
    Greyhawk V1-6.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've really not thought about that too much yet. I am going to have to do a bit of looking around, but of course I want to buy an air brush! What I have figured out so far, is that I need to do A LOT more prep work -- sanding and filling, etc. -- before attaching fins and I need titebond molding and trim glue for fillets, and I should have considered strengthening the fins ahead of time. :)

Last edited:
Is this a clone build, as it looks like it? Looks good so far and would go with nacelle for sure. I know one of these kits is on ebay right now for $75, so out of my range, but have wanted to build one, so following.

Nice work on the clone. I too would go with the nacelle over the nose cone. Did you intentionally changes the direction of the upper fins?

I did a restoration of my original a while back and the hardest part of the entire project was figuring out what to do with the paint.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-gray-hawk-2068-restoration.163308/page-2#post-2328945

Doh! So how is at all possible that I looked at this rocket hundreds of times and I never realized that I put the upper fins on incorrectly? That just seems impossible. So I spent some time last night removing those two upper fins to create new fins and put them on correctly. Today's little project.

Attachments

• Greyhawk Fin Removal.jpg
    Greyhawk Fin Removal.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So, it's kind of like a great car that looks fantastic from 20 feet. I've primered the Greyhawk -- in grey of course. Now, I will sand everything and work on a good paint scheme. Probably some red and I am not sure what else. Unfortunately, the primer paint REALLY brings out all the imperfections / inadequacies in my craftsmanship. I need to tighten up my game! And yes, I did take the two fins off and put them back on correctly! Whew.

Attachments

• Greyhawk Primer Paint 2.jpg
    Greyhawk Primer Paint 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk Primer Paint 1.jpg
    Greyhawk Primer Paint 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
For my fisrt build, I'd say this didn't turn out terrible -- and I learned alot! Still need to finish painting -- it is just the base grey now -- but I will work on color for the stabilizers and nacelle. More "stuff" to add to this build when I start reworking it -- after the first flight of course -- but I'm happy with my first attempt. And of course, thank you Apogee for your patience with my many visits!

Attachments

• Greyhawk Complete.jpg
    Greyhawk Complete.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Greyhawk Complete Painted Grey.jpg
    Greyhawk Complete Painted Grey.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
That’s a great rocket, looks good by any standard, let alone a first build. Mine was pretty juvenile, even if I wasn’t at the time.
BC3C9258-D6A4-4E14-9964-859C6A96A697.jpeg

I think yours will be stable with one single central motor, not sure how well it will do with three.

May want to swing test it before a cluster launch, or you may find it a cluster of a different kind.

That’s a great rocket, looks good by any standard, let alone a first build. Mine was pretty juvenile, even if I wasn’t at the time.
View attachment 546395

I think yours will be stable with one single central motor, not sure how well it will do with three.

May want to swing test it before a cluster launch, or you may find it a cluster of a different kind.

That is pretty funny -- I like it! But now I have to go look up what it means to do a swing test. I suspect it has something to do with trying to figure out where the CG is and if I need weight in the nose cone and / or a longer main BT.

So I did get my Greyhawk in the air this weekend down in Pueblo. Just one launch with one main engine and it was a perfectly straight flight. Unfortunately, I broke a fin on landing and that was the end of my day with that rocket. So, the three engine flight will have to wait for another clear day. But all in all, a great first flight.

Congrats! If it was one of the wings that broke, you may want to check the balsa grain. The grain is supposed to run parallel to the (main) leading fin/wing edge, not parallel to the body tube. If the latter, reinforce the leading edge with a dowel or cut off and completely replace with correct ones. Congrats again & good luck!

Congrats! If it was one of the wings that broke, you may want to check the balsa grain. The grain is supposed to run parallel to the (main) leading fin/wing edge, not parallel to the body tube. If the latter, reinforce the leading edge with a dowel or cut off and completely replace with correct ones. Congrats again & good luck!
I didn't notice this in the earlier pictures until I just zoomed in, but you are absolutely right:
1670505050412.png
Fins built in this way will be *very* weak and prone to breakage. Grain should be in the direction of the black line.
1670505135493.png
Of course, such fins can still break... but you will have maximized their chances of survival.

Back in 1994 we were in Arlington, Texas for a family function. I had a free afternoon and was driving around town when I saw a hobby shop with a closing sale sign out front. I went in and bought an Estes Ninja rocket and a pack of A10-3T motors. I figured I'd entertain the kids with a launch later in the week and started the build as soon as I got back to the house. My brother in law came home, saw what I was doing, got the story and dragged me back to the hobby shop. Our wives saw the opportunity for some Christmas shopping and I wound up with a Super Vega, Hornet and Greyhawk for Christmas that year. I started and finished the Greyhawk immediately, but still have yet to apply the decals. I might do it for the 30th anniversary next year. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image-estes-grayhawkjpg-900-600-030521204730778.jpg
    image-estes-grayhawkjpg-900-600-030521204730778.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
Back