Build Thread: Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2launch

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is a build that I havw been wanting to do since I first saw this kit over a year ago.Since then I put it off a few times thinking I wasn't ready for it yet then it was out of stock for awhile.Then a couple weeks back Uncle Mikes Rocket Shop had them in stock so instead of another build I was planning I broke down and picked this up instead.Its gonna be a slow build but I think it will be worth it and also will be a good build thread to add to the new TRF.So onward with the build heres all the parts laid out.

DSC00196.jpg

I am going to be tweaking it a bit so I can fit in a Perfect Flight MT3G timer and a 9 volt battery that will be put into an E-Bay that will be built onto an extended motormount.Right now I am in the process of cutting and putting the extension to the MM I will post more pics sometime tonight or tomorrow of that.

Ooooohhhh...This one looks purdy. (DAllen subscribes to thread) Those cones and fins look awesome. Are you going with 29mm to 29mm?

-DAllen

Great kit...real neato when it stages.

I loved mine...(just make sure you use the G80-4 or an equivalent short delay in the booster....)

AerobeeHi Cosmodrome.JPG

Ooooohhhh...This one looks purdy. (DAllen subscribes to thread) Those cones and fins look awesome. Are you going with 29mm to 29mm?

-DAllen

Yes it is 29mm to 29mm, first flight will probably ne a G64-4 to an F of some type.

The parts of this kit are high quality the centering rings needed a bit of sanding to fit into the body tubes but the motor mount tubes fit perfectly.Here are some pictures of the booster motor mount booster body tube before the fin slots have been cut and a dry fit of the interstage coupler.The interstage coupler parts were a bit of a tight fit the ring that fits over the tibe coupler took some work to get on and sanding down the dowels took some time along with the sanding of all the centering rings but on to the picture.

DSC00197.jpg

Tomorrow night I will be finishing off the sustainer motor mount and hopefully getting a bit more done with it.

I like this, tackling the toughtest part of the kit first. :)

mike
cosmodrome rocketry

Yeah those dowels took some sanding made me wish I had a belt sander so it woulda been zip zip and they're done.Besides I had to wait for the Fixit epoxy to set on the extended motor mount tubes.The timer and battery will be placed on the right hand section of the MM which is diverted and will sit along the sidewall of the bodytube I am hope this won't shorten the life span of the BT.The centering rings need filets on them before I line it up next to the body tube and transfers where the centering rings will be so I can mark out the e-bay hatch.

DSC00199.jpg

Here is the finished booster all thats left are filets on the fins.The interstage coupler was a bear to put into the main body tube it needed a layer of paper torn off and then I coated it and the inside of the BT with CA and sanded quite a bit before the two would finally fit together and not bind it could probably use a bit more sanding to smooth it out.The couplers in this kit are very very tight fitting I almost swapped them out with some spares that I had laying around.

DSC00201.jpg

MaxQ,
One question for you how did you do your conduits did you attach them then sand them down or sand them down then attach them?

I attached mine first when I built my BT-60 Aerobee Hi. Makes it harder to sand but also harder to brake them in the process

Aerobees.jpg

Here is the finished booster all thats left are filets on the fins.The interstage coupler was a bear to put into the main body tube it needed a layer of paper torn off and then I coated it and the inside of the BT with CA and sanded quite a bit before the two would finally fit together and not bind it could probably use a bit more sanding to smooth it out.The couplers in this kit are very very tight fitting I almost swapped them out with some spares that I had laying around.

DSC00201.jpg

Nice looking booster! ;) You could have also used thinned down epoxy to coat the coupler to strengthen it some..I find that using the epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol when sanded has a much smoother 'fit' on the coupler..

Ok,
It's been a few days now time to post some updates, heres the full stake showing off the E-Bay.

DSC00202.jpg

And here it is after 3 days of sanding down kiltz primer to a baby smooth finish.

DSC00203.jpg

Painting will be happening soon.

DSC00201.jpg

I had the same problem with my build.
I had a build thread here but it's lost now:(

Looks good, but why is the sustainer sitting cockeyed?

That has been rectified my level was off due to my house not having a single level floor anywhere once the glue dries it should be level again.Things must not have gone togther in the same slots when I put the booster togther after the dry fit.

Back