Build Thread -- ARC 1318

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I bit the bullet today and started on the ARC 1318 kit. Someone else had started on the build and I am going to finish. Kind of like working on a car that someone else has already taken apart, but... So the first part that I am attempting to accomplish is assembling the four fall away boosters. I am sure that when this rocket was first built back in 1999, that rail spacers and interlock rails and upper and lower interlock tabs, etc. were the way to go, but UGH! So, I thought that maybe I could modify the Apogee strap on booster pod mounts for this build, but I don't think it is going to happen; they are just too large. So, I am going to attempt to do this the old fashioned way.

Attachments

• ARC 1318 Fall Away Booster Pods.jpg
    ARC 1318 Fall Away Booster Pods.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 0
So yes, a tedious build for my 2nd project. Made especially more difficult now that I can only use one hand. Do you know embarassing it is to tell your wife you hurt yourself building a model rocket / sanding fins? Oiy. But now the fins are papered and sanded and stronger and reay to go. Anyways, here are a couple of more pictures. The dowel that needs to join the bosters to the BT is very tight, so I have to read up on that.

Attachments

• ARC 1318 Ready 1.jpg
    ARC 1318 Ready 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ARC 1318 Ready 2.jpg
    ARC 1318 Ready 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • ARC 1318 Ready 4.jpg
    ARC 1318 Ready 4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ARC 1318 Ready 5.jpg
    ARC 1318 Ready 5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Clearly this is where I am going to have to do some fine tuning / custom work to get all the parts to fit together correctly. Sanding here and sanding there, etc. Just to many moving parts to not be extremely precise from the beginning of the build. Certainly a learning process.

Attachments

• Assembled Booster Cluster.jpg
    Assembled Booster Cluster.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stand offs and tape to mimic the thickness of paint and overlapping fins -- yikes! I will want to build this again when I have more experience in the fine detail stuff!

Attachments

• ARC 1318 Tie In.jpg
    ARC 1318 Tie In.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been intrigued by this line of kits since I first saw them, though have never seen one fly. I look forward to the flight report! When did they go OOP?

I really, really love this kit. I suspect I will build it again and do a better job, but for now this was fine. I went down to Pueblo CO to fly it a couple of weeks back, but I had forgotten a launch lug! Ack. So first launch is still pending! :)

Back