Build thread: 5.3:1 sport scale Super Deluxe #2 Skywriter XL Premium Pro Max - Limited Edition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Doorknob is possibly the funniest name ever for a rocket. The fact that it's actually a Real Rocket, and not just a silly model rocket name, makes it even funnier.

You know, now that I think about it this is one of the few rockets that you really hope doesn’t live up to it’s name.
Although the Estes Doorknob comes close........

To be contrarian, a nice straight line is "sky writing". 😎 And the Estes CATO might be worse!

13 months later the Skywriter Deluxe flew yesterday on a C11-5. Flight was not high (probably ~300', plus or minus) but nominal, and recovery was particularly close to the pad. This let me to think that the wind had shifted a bit, and would allow an attempted flight with a D12, but I thought the better of it and chose the Plasma Dart for that flight instead (PD being quite a bit draggier, and therefore a lower flier). Given how close the PD ended up to the trees, I'm glad I didn't try it with the Skywriter.

No damage, ready for bigger motors in the future.
B7C7676C-30EE-4BEF-B679-81FD4A739038_1_105_c.jpeg
View attachment skywriter_flight.mov

Last edited:
For fantasy rockets or anything not built with performance in mind, I like 300 foot flights. I get a great view of lift off, boost, coast, ejection, chute or streamer recovery, and a short walk. What’s not to like?

For fantasy rockets or anything not built with performance in mind, I like 300 foot flights. I get a great view of lift off, boost, coast, ejection, chute or streamer recovery, and a short walk. What’s not to like?

Lester Moore

This rocket would be an excellent candidate for a tube launched model that utilizes Gas Dynamic Stabilization. Thus, no clear plastic fins...

Back