Build or Collect?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own an 18mm FatBoy?

• Yes I do.

• No I don't

• I don't but will be getting one soon.

• Yes I do.

• No I don't

• I don't but will be getting one soon.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elapid

Reaction score
i picked up a K-51 Estes Semi-Scale Sandhawk on ebay.
it was a favorite of mine when i was a kid.
i was going to build it, but now i wonder...

i have a feeling, as kits go, this one should remain fairly popular.

oops...
ummm...instead of 'Build', it should read 'Collect'
d'oh!

can you add a choice for "clone it and keep it"?

Yup... I do both.

I have purchased a number of collectible kits and measured them, scanned than, taken photos, then cloned them to fly.

All of my documentation then goes to Ye Olde Rocket plans for others to do the same.

Check out the site, it is wonderful!!

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/

Phred

I also vote clone it, thats an easy 4fn, and keep the kit.

I am currently "cloning" the K-51 for myself and it is proving to be more than a 4F and a nose cone.

The nose cone is an unusual size and shape (3:1 ogive I think) and is not available in a BT-55 size. I was FORCED to make one!

Also the payload section with antenna and the fins are injection molded plastic parts.

Fortunately I did win an Ebay auction for a completed K-51 but it was very poorly done.

Anybody know how to remove Testor's enamel from styrene plastic?

light sandpaper or coarse steel wool is the safest bet IMO.
i'd be scared to use methylene chloride or other solvent that might affect the plastic...

maybe you could pick up some styrene sheet at the hobby shop and test a few things after painting it.
make sure to share your findings!
:)

sandman, could you PM me with some info on your nose cones, pricing in particular?

thanks!

Originally posted by sandman

My favorite way to remove paint from plastic (styrene) is brake fluid. Some people say it weakens the plastic but I've never experienced that.
It comes in plastic bottles and the brake fluid reservoir on most cars is plastic. I know it is not styrene but anyway...
I've used it on car models and model trains quite successfully. Had one train setting in it for over a month.
BTW, this is why you NEVER spill brake fluid on your car. Unless you're TRYING to remove the paint. :)

sandman asked:

<Anybody know how to remove Testor's enamel from styrene plastic?>

yes, go to your local hobbyshop and ask for

Polly S Easy Lift Off paint and Decal Remover for Plastic.

Here is a link to what is looks like:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof542143.htm

I have used this stuff for years!!

Phred

Originally posted by Elapid
i really hosed that poll...

We're here to protect and serve. :) New poll option added. Well, I wanted to vote "clone it and preserve the original" too. :)

Originally posted by Elapid
i picked up a K-51 Estes Semi-Scale Sandhawk on ebay.
it was a favorite of mine when i was a kid.
i was going to build it, but now i wonder...

i have a feeling, as kits go, this one should remain fairly popular.

oops...
ummm...instead of 'Build', it should read 'Collect'
d'oh!

I've collected a couple rockets, but collecting them doesn't mean a thing to me if they haven't flown.

My vote too goes for cloning.Built a Big Red Max recently with stuff from BMS and Excelsior.Only cost me about $15 max instead of the $168 like the last one on E-bay.I could clone a ton of kits for that!
Also.all of my plastic modeler friends swear by Castrol Super Clean for stripping paint from plastic.

Originally posted by astronboy
sandman asked:

<Anybody know how to remove Testor's enamel from styrene plastic?>

yes, go to your local hobbyshop and ask for

Polly S Easy Lift Off paint and Decal Remover for Plastic.

Here is a link to what is looks like:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof542143.htm

I have used this stuff for years!!

Phred

Does that stuff work to remove "old" and flaking decals from a completed rocket so that new ones can be applied? Or will it remove the paint and all? Can it be applied to body tubes/fins to just remove the decals and not the paint?

Thanks!

I vote for "clone and preserve."

Although, I tend to build them unless JimZ's or YORS already has all the scans.

Hey, if I get my hands on something that they don't (JimZ and YORS) I'm sharing before I build. Heck, somebody did the same thing for all those other scans that I drool over and build from already, right?

A bag of tubes and cones and old, stale decals is worth little to me - unless it has some relative nostalgic value. And there are few kits with that, at least for me (and I own them now.....)

To summarize: A clone is *just as good as the original!!!!!*

Only *you* will know the difference, unless you tell someone (which we almost always do so that we can brag on our cloning skills... :p )

OK I'll get back on it...some day.

I have to go package up so kits now!

Originally posted by sandman

I have been told, tho I have no personal experience, that oven cleaner works for removing paint from plastic models. Apparently, the "no fumes" stuff is less harsh than the smelly kind.

I have tried the brake fluid in the past but not with much success. Maybe I was too impatient.

I had no intention of preserving the parts, I just wanted to see the detail.

I also have a Nike booster section from the Seahawk and the transition so it looks like it will turn into a Terrier/Sandhawk clone.

The details on the Terrier/Sandhawk version are slightly different...paint scheme is too.

<----sees no point in collecting - in 50 years I could make a mint but then again in 50 years I may be 6 feet under..soo, since I can't take it with me, i'd rather build it and fly it now. 8)

As to cloning..good idea if you can find the peoper parts.

I've been wanting to clone an Atlas, Saturn 1B and V and odds are it won't happen. lol

Sandman:
I have to agree with Fred, Polly S easy lift off has always worked great for me on styrene parts and other plastics. I have also had little luck with break fluid even soaking parts overnight didn't seem to lossen the paint much. Polly S works well with a soft cloth.

As for the sandhawk: it is only a semi-scale, I'd clone it, and alter the fin can and payload sections to Scale. with some work it could be a decent scale model.

I say build and fly, what is the point of having a kit sit in the bag for 20 years? It was meant to be flown, I thought that's why we're in this hobby. I mean sure, if you bought an Estes Gemini Titan II in 1971 for a couple of bucks you could make a few hundred now, but you're hardly going to retire to Florida on that anyway.

And these guys that build and then are too scared to fly it because it came out so nice, what is up with that? Go build Revell plastic models if you want a static display, there's a reason these are called FLYING model rockets. I fly my vintage birds and if I lose one well that's part of the cost of this nutty hobby.

OK, end of rant....

Glenn

Hi Glen,

If someone on ebay will pay you $75.00 for an old kit, you can use that money to get the parts to clone 6-12 other rockets. Since almost every plan is available between Jim Z, and Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, ya just cannot beat that!!

Phred

Glen:
I do both, I have over 300 and counting flying models that hit the Skies as many times a year as I can get motors in them...

but I also have about 200 "collector kits" and about the ther same number of Rocket related PMC "Plastic Collector kits". Why? Actually for two reasons the first being when I retire one of my over flown, loose one the the trees, Catoed or other misphap destroyed model, it's really nice to be able to go to the rack and pick up another of the same kit I purchased at or near the same price as the original couple of bucks. say an Estes Astron Interceptor, or 1/100th SaturnV .. open the bag or box and build it.. OR Second put one up for auction and go buy a bunch of rocket stuff with the huge dollars from the sale.
Either way it's a way to hedge the unlikely but alway possible disappearance of the majority of model kit manufacturers as happened during the mid 80's and 90's..
I don't belive i've actually built a "kit" model in about 5 years but I've been steadily building Clones of great old models from the plans i've collected and/or collector kits picked up here and there. If nothing else the collector stuff will add to my retirement income when i get to old or crippled to chase them down...Well except my micros:D

Back