Build of new Wildman Extreme 3in.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
While TRF was down I did a very comprehensive build of the "new" Extreme 3in. Wildman at Rocketry Planet under High Power......B.A.W.R. Born again Wildman thread. For those that may be interested in this kit, and were not aware of it on The Planet.

Can be viewed here:
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648

Attachments

• 100_1514.jpg
    100_1514.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1945.jpg
    100_1945.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36
No this is the Extreme 3in. spiral tubes and 54mm. The 75mm version is the 4in tube one.
I just got a flight photo on a green some one sent. I'll have to get it off my e-mail and post it.

They do scoot though, the last one I had made to 15,300 on a K-250 and 13,400 on a AMW K-750.

Last edited:
Jim, here is a picture I took of it from the Jan O'burg Launch...

Great flight...I think it was a drag race...I will not tell the outcome of the drag race - I'll leave that up to you.

Todd

DSC_3187.jpg

Last edited:
I will tho!..LOL..It was a drag race between Jim and his Wildman and my 3" Thor..On I245G's..By the time that picture of Jim's rocket was taken my Thor was at about 500 feet or so!:D

Helps when your rocket weighs like 2.5 pounds LESS then the competition!..Was fun! I got 1988' altitude and I think Jim got 1500' or so..

Oh okay, guess I'm losing my touch. Jon didn't win, he smoked me! I'm just sittin on the pad while he's out getting his rocket!

Thanks for the great shots Todd!

Jim_H_John_C_getting_ready_for_a_drag_race.sized.jpg

Jim_Hendrickson_wins_the_I245_drag_race.sized.jpg

John_C_is_first_off_the_pad.sized.jpg

Well, you can't win all of them, can you Jim...

(yeah, the AMRAAM is mine and the one on the pad starting to spew sparks is Jim's)

https://ockets.fotopic.net/p32056809.html

Nice build btw. Looks like a great rocket. You should stuff in a K and let it loose :D

Last edited:
Link no workie!!

With out even seeing the photo, I bet it was LDRS in Texas, where I met you in line to the pad. I believe I was flying an I-315 skid, in an AT kit I modded.

Last edited:
Yo Jim, should fly it on one of them J150000 like the one you "flew" at NERRF.

;)

Still got a few left.

Going to NERRF this year?

Me and the other "troublemaker" should be there

J

You mean "watched" . Seems to me it ended up somewhere else.

This time I'll handcuff myself to the motor!
How many G's do you think that thing pulls in a 3in WM?

Link no workie!!

With out even seeing the photo, I bet it was LDRS in Texas, where I met you in line to the pad. I believe I was flying an I-315 skid, in an AT kit I modded.
Oops...
Try this one: https://ockets.fotopic.net/p32056809.html

And yes, you're right. Of course, after that flight, you found yours immediately and I had 4 hours to hike around in search of mine, but still...

Hey Jim
Since I have one of these critters here built and ready to fly on its maiden flight, whenever this IL. weather will permit, I would like to pick your brain on it.
What was your RTF weight less motor & case?
Mine is 8 lbs 12 ozs.
Doing some sims using RockSim and letting RockSim chose the cd I came up with the following.
K250 12000'
AMW K750 7700'
What altitude did Tim's hit at LDRS on the L-2300?
And why did it only hit .45 mach?
I plan to baby mine on its first flight on a CTI J210.
Sims to a little over 3000'.
This will also be a test flight for my new ARTS2 altimeter.
I will use my PerfectFlight MAWD as a backup.
Your insights?
L. T.

How about some pics of yours!
If you look at the first post here there is a link to my build thread. If you go to the last 2 pages, there is very detailed info [with graphs]on the weight and flights. I chopped it and downsized the hardware to 3/16.

But to summarize . I cut off the unneeded tubing [18in tot.]and eliminated the 4in altimeter bay body tube. [cut it down to 1/2in]. Also trimmed down the fins by about 18%.
Done , painted and ready with 2 alts and batteries, sans motor....7lbs 4oz.

I saved about 1 and 1/2 pounds by what I did.

My old one was only 5.5 lbs. RTF, but that was with thin wall tubing, and lighter NC., which is no longer available. I built the new one to the same length and specs. as the original. but the parts are now much heavier. Mine is 60in long.instead of 78in. Don't need it, didn't use it. Also by being shorter, less drag.

That one went 15,300 on a K-250 and 13,400 on a AMW K-750

With a AMW 1050 and J 357 GG [?] 10.2lbs and 5143 alt. my test flight.
I also used a back up alt. [perfectflite HiAlt 45] for this. Your doing same, good idea! First time using R-das . Second flight just went with R-das, graphs on same 2 last pgs.

Tim hit 11,400 something. Which you should approximate with the K-750, since yours should be very similar and it's the same case. [I think?]
The mach reading along with other data was bad. I mounted a GPS and live telemetry broadcast in this bird, but the R-das was faulty so the data was also. Good thing we used a Perfect flight as back up.

Even with the extra weight I would expect higher flight than the sims

As far as a picture mine is still naked and going to stay thay way for awhile.
Usually do not name my rockets but think i wil call this one " Must be young" "Still looks good naked"
That way if I fly it at a launch where Tim is the LCO he will not call it B___ Hole.
Built pretty much stock. Did build the cr rings motor tube and fins as a unit and installed it like a fin can.
Added a steel cable for shock cord retention.
Hope that works out ok.
Plan to fly it with GPS down the road so I picked up an extra nose cone, one of the cheap ones with screw on aluminum tips. LOL
The nose cone cost 1/2 what the kit cost.
I was looking for a cone with a bit more room to make the GPS fit eaiser.
Still looks like if I need to use a large 9v rc battery pack I will need to build a small payload bay for it.
New nose cone, GPS unit,battery pack, small payload bay, could end up adding a couple pounds to the build weight. Just to fly GPS.
Best
L. T.

Just a thought.....you could cut off up to a foot of the fincan tube, to use as the payload for you bat. pack/gps and move it up to the NC. Hold it on with allthread glued in the nc tip. have removable bulkplate, with eyebolt for recovery attachment.
All you need then is a coupler and the hardware to hold it together. Should save some weight and keep the length the same.

I may very well do that.
I went ahead and ordered a coupler plus pulkplates and a 2' section of body tube from Tim.
This should give me a lot of pieces to play with and a lot of options in which way to go.
L. T

Built pretty much stock. Did build the cr rings motor tube and fins as a unit and installed it like a fin can.
Added a steel cable for shock cord retention.

Out of curiosity, why the steel cable?

The attachment that Tim provides is pretty darned robust.

-Kevin

I was thinhing the kevlar strap was just a straight piece.
I did not look at untill to late to determine it was a y strap.
Wish now I would have used it.

I was thinhing the kevlar strap was just a straight piece.
I did not look at untill to late to determine it was a y strap.
Wish now I would have used it.

Ah, okay. It's a darned nice strap, too -- I had Tim get me another one for a different kit.

FWIW, Hawk Mountain does use a straight strap for at least some of their kits. It's installed the same way as Tim's is, it just doesn't have that nifty loop sewn into the top, but it works quite nicely.

-Kevin

Looks like now I have two of these I can use when I get around to building the 4" Extreme WildMan kit I have. LOL
Darn that Tim, after LDRS he had the 3" for $199. Before I got around to ordering it he had the 4" for the same price.
So I picked up one of each.
The steel cable is a garage door cable, factory looped on one end.
That should hold no problem just hope the two crimp type clamps I used on the other end will also.
If not and assuming the sustainer survives the fall, I will not be able to fly any CTI motors.
Plugged threaded closure motors only.
CTI motors are my motor of choice for cold weather launches.
So easy to build no need to prebuild.
Prebuild the motor for a cold weather launch, the launch gets canceled, and you have a motor case/motor tied up.
It may not be your motor of choice when you do get a chance to launch.
L. T.

FWIW, I'm in the process of rewriting the 3" instructions for Tim. The big delay is the pace at which my wife is working on it (she's building it for L2, and I need to get pictures as it progresses).

After that, I'd like to get a 4" for myself.

-Kevin

Tim can always use help in writting instructions.
Does sound like he is recovering from his finger injury.
He does seem to have a way of bouncing back from adversity.
If you get the 4" will it be for an L3 build?
I am going to hold off building mine with that in mind.
I will use the 3" as a test bed.
I need to get some experience with my GPS and flights to about 10k, first.
My sims show the 4" hitting about 12 to 14K on a baby M motor.
L. T.

Yeah, writing isn't Tim's strength. But, he knows that.

Nah, the 4" probably wouldn't be for L3. I have a rocket that's almost done; just need to finish the electronics mounts, and I can fly it. Oh, and write up the documentation.

-Kevin

Kevin I would love to ask you lots of question about your L3 buid, but I am thinking we should let this thread get back to its orginial topic.
Sorry Jim if I took the thread to far off course.
L. T.

Kevin I would love to ask you lots of question about your L3 buid, but I am thinking we should let this thread get back to its orginial topic.
Sorry Jim if I took the thread to far off course.
L. T.

Fire away.

-Kevin

Back