Build Contests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thought for a possible contest just occured to me. Lots of folks picked up the special edition 3" Darkstars during Wildmans's BS sale. Perhaps a contest centered around them? - best build/best finish/highest alt/best mod/etc.?
I would request though (for my own selfish reasons) that the contest wait until later in the year though, as my own build will likely not happen till late summer.

Seems to me finding a vendor sponsor for that particular contest shouldn't be that hard (ahem :).).

A thought for a possible contest just occured to me. Lots of folks picked up the special edition 3" Darkstars during Wildmans's BS sale. Perhaps a contest centered around them? - best build/best finish/highest alt/best mod/etc.?
I would request though (for my own selfish reasons) that the contest wait until later in the year though, as my own build will likely not happen till late summer.

Seems to me finding a vendor sponsor for that particular contest shouldn't be that hard (ahem :).).

Interesting idea. I will give it some thought.

Ok. Lets discuss rules.

1) Must have a flight.
2) Recommend but not required to have a build thread.
3) Anybody have a beef on these or and other recommendations?

I am reviewing the prior contests now.

Ok. Lets discuss rules.

1) Must have a flight.

Since this would be a TRF contest, why not require a build thread? There might be information in the thread that would assist in the judging.

Ok. Lets discuss rules.

1) Must have a flight.
Yes...A SUCCESSFUL AND SAFE flight..
Optional

Just a couple suggestions...

As far as sponsors...The Black Darkstar that Stealth6 suggests..I approached on numerous times and got no response..Just saying...

Thanks Jon. I am sure I will bend you ear to get this done right.

Will be more then willing to help- as time allows.

I understand. I have plenty of time at this time.

I spend a lot of time staring at walls or walking labs around post. The walking needs to slow. I hit 190 lbs and continue to loose weight without trying.

This will be a good way to kill some time.

Contests in order:

AV Bays - because we have a sponsor: K and S had generously offered an AV Bay as a prize

The above poll will do the following contests. This will also allow more time for you to think and plan. The next 2 will be: Upscale and Sci Fi. I will do another to find any other future contests. Thaks for participating in the poll.

Rules for the AV bay:

1) Successful flight.
2) You must have built the bay yourself. It can be already complete
3) Build threads are a plus (Not required, but voters can consider this as proof of #2).

Time Frame: You can start now. Deadline is 1 March. I will start the winner's poll the first week in March (2 week duration).

If you have input, please post it here.

The only thing I would add is that it must have a successful DOCUMENTED flight. Picture, video, build thread. Proof that it did happen. Just something to prove the flight actually took place, not as a test to see if someone was lying but just so you can really show if off in action.

I understand. I have plenty of time at this time.

I spend a lot of time staring at walls or walking labs around post. The walking needs to slow. I hit 190 lbs and continue to loose weight without trying.

This will be a good way to kill some time.

My left leg weighs 190 lbs.

Now that is a leg. Why do you have one leg that weighs more?

It was a joke. Actually, my right leg is a little bigger than my left, because of blood clots I've had in the past. But it's nowhere near 190 lbs.

Love the idea of a contest build! My ideas r making a rocket from a household item that wasn't intended to fly. Built a flying saucer from m"cool whip" container and has flown great dozens of times! How about an innovative rocket component? Just submitted my idea to SR for a TARC nosecone, to carry an egg w/axis parrallel to ground. Thinking out of the box here. TTY

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I plan to do the builds but not the e-bay thing. My idea of an e-bay is a seperate compartment for the electronics and wrap everything in bubble wrap. I just use timers.

It works for me :p

Hmmm...I was testing the fit of some electronics last night for a single deploy ebay with baro, g sensor, and RF beacon that was 3" long and fit in a 24mm tube.

well I'm out for this contest, too cold for me to trust the battery :).
rex

Wait...so are there any rules, or is this a free-for-all-let-the-masses-decide kind of event?

If any one is dead set on av bays in February, pm me. If not, we will switch to upscales and do av bays for the next build. I did not think about the batteries and un fair advantage for those in the south.

Thanks Scott. I am going to move the AV bay to April so people have more time to test them. In February, it will be up scales.

Any one building?

Start building. I really want to get this contest thing back running.

I have an idea for a prize on future contest.

This one will be for an Adept Altimeter (22).

Last edited:
I'm not going to do an upscale build. However, I will participate in the Av-bay competition.

Ok, guys. Start either/ or and we will start the official contest for upscales in February and it closed at the end of march. Prize is an adept 22. I am donating to get the ball rolling.

The av bay will start in march and end in may. K and S had graciously donated an av bay for this contest.

Please send me an email when you decide to join the contest.

Back