Buck Rogers Models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Forgot to post that a couple months ago I was able to pick up a Buck Rogers, Earth Force Starfighter, and a Draconian Marauder. Of course I was hoping that either Colonel Deering or Princess Ardala would deliver them to the door; biddi-biddi-biddi.

The plan is to convert the patterns onto lite balsa and then build.

If your looking for any reference's The Science Fiction Museum has both the filming models on display. Check it out on your next Seattle trip.

I just bought both as well. Can't wait for the results. I have 2 that my brother built per instructions (he is a modeler I am a rocketeer). They fly pretty good but the lite balsa idea intriques me.

Cj

Likewise, I have both in my build pile too.

Of course I would trade both for a Spandex-clad Erin Gray in a heartbeat. ;)

Hehehe... Wilma was cute, but Princess Ardala... now she was HOT!!! :eek::cool:

Too bad they don't have shows like that on TV anymore...

I've seen pictures of them both recently under a google search. I about cried - they've gotten older. I think Erin Gray's even put out a cookbook. Of course if everyone recalls correctly, she was on Silver Spoons as well.

I think I also mentioned this elsewhere, but if you watch the original Battlestar Galactica (first show) you can also see Jane Seymour (first two episodes) and Rick Springfield (Apollo's brother who the Cyclon's kill).

If your looking for any reference's The Science Fiction Museum has both the filming models on display. Check it out on your next Seattle trip.

I'm going to do that. When I was up there, a little over a week ago, I finally went to the Flying Heritage Museum owned by Paul Allen. WOW!!! I finally got to see both variants of V-1s (originals) both manned and unmanned. Yup, there was a manned version!

I've got the DVD set... :) Both seasons. Picked them up when I got "V", "V-the final battle", "V-the television series" and "Sledge Hammer Season One" and "Sledge Hammer Season Two" along with the original "Battlestar Galactica" DVD set.

Best shows ever on television IMHO...

Oh, and ya want to talk about hot... Anne-Marie Martin as Dori Doreau on "Sledge Hammer".... :D She did a guest part on Buck Rogers as the lead telekenetic woman that stole Twiki in the episode "Twiki is Missing!"

Yall take it easy! OL JR :)

I still think their both beautiful women. and I agree about the spandex clad erin grey :D

...The plan is to convert the patterns onto lite balsa and then build.
A good idea, to be sure. The fibre board on these tends to be quite warped. I've built the Marauder, the stacked fins give a very nice 3D look. I'd think pretty thin, either 1/16" or 3/32". You'll still need to use card stock for the canopy & outboard engine pods. The pods are a bunch of work, but look really great when done.

This is a set I wanted when it was still avalable. I hope to find them some day or clone them.

This is a set I wanted when it was still avalable. I hope to find them some day or clone them.
They go up on ebay quite often; the Marauder can be picked up for $20-$30, the Starfighter maybe $30 to $40 if you're patient.

AK:
I hope you'll make the patterns available, whenever you start you build, It seems like a couple are really great models that need to be converted to flying status;)
and yea! i'd really like to downscale the Starfighter for micro motors....

I just picked up a Draonian Marauder kit myself from ebay.

I'd like to try and use the original fiber parts. Any suggestions on how to keep them flat? I'm thinking I might try sandwiching them with white glue and paper and smashing them flat while drying....

Hmmm... as Spock would say, "Fascinating"...

Course I haven't really gotten into all the 'reimagining' stuff... the new BSG just didn't really catch my interest, and I'm not sure that this will either by the looks of it...

I DO like the reboots of Star Trek (though it has SOME issues obviously) and the reboot of James Bond was SORELY needed! Maybe this will be better than the ships look...

Later! OL JR :)

I ran a couple of quick tests over the weekend on the warped card stock that came with my kit....

I was able to get a nice flat, very tough sample (cut from the extra around the fins) by applying a layer of one ounce fiberglass to each side of the fin. It didn't seem to add much weight either. I did my lay up between sheets of waxed paper sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass (the clear stuff, not fiberglass...) with a weight on top. This resulted in an extremely smooth finish to the fin!

I'll post pics when I start with the real fins.

Back