BT80H Upscale Interceptor Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to worry powderburner....the Interceptor has a fresh coat of gloss white. This evening shift thing does have a few advantages. :D Nobody home during the day to "direct" my activities.

Here are a couple of pics...

Beautiful finish. The Interceptor is a thing of beauty!
Drew tomko

Originally posted by OKTurbo
...and as soon as I open up the door, it starts to snow.

Personally, I like to think of it as "God's primer". :D

Oh that's going to be just too beautiful to fly... :)

Gus...you crack me up! LOL

BTW, I was born in Flint MI. My younger sister lives in Holland MI. Too much "primer" there for me. I traded snow in MI for tornadoes in OK.

I hope it's not too beautiful to fly! Tim at Wildman has a new 29/120 case and some G77 Redline loads coming my way for the maiden voyage.

I think edwardw is up to the task of making me a T-cup chute for this bad boy. So what do you guys think I should do on chute colors? I'm leaning towards flourescent orange and white....

OK Turbo,

All I can say is..."It makes a father proud!"

I'm so glad I had a part in this.

Just wish I had time to make something for me.:(

And to think Gordon, you were worried whether or not I was going to use those parts. :D Now where is the other set of big Interceptor parts you made! (I know you're out there....)

I'm giving the white a couple of days to dry before I paint the tailcone and the wing pods. I bought a can of Krylon "Red glowing orange flourescent" for the wing pods. Should I go flat black or gloss black...or even satin black on the tail cone? I hope the flourescent turns out OK. I plan on roughing up the gloss on the pods before I paint them. Another day drying and they should be ready....

Decal Update: Phred sent me an e-mail and said he's pounding away on the decals for this monster. I guess that's a good thing...just kidding...can't wait to see them.:D

I went with gloss black on my clone. I may even gloss coat the whole thing after its decaled. If Phred is plugging away on the upscale that means the 1:1 set will be ready as well. Yippee!

Drew

Yup!! The Interceptor decals are very close to completion. I drew for about 2 hours last night, and have only a few parts left before it is finished. I always draw decals in the original size, and then upscale or downscale as needed. Coreldraw makes this pretty easy.

I have been 'pounding away' on this decal as I have had a number of requests for it, plus OKTurbo's upscale, PLUS I am building a 'Goonyceptor' !!

Phred

Phred, Phred...your our man...if you can't do it...no one can....GO PHRED!!!!!

Goonyceptor! I'd better get to Hobby Lobby and get another Baby Bertha or two.

Any teaser pics of the Goonyceptor? Or is top secret / classified / double-not spy material?

:D :D :D

Alas, I do not have a prototype in a Goony test phase yet... but I will soon!!

Ph

John, I have been following your progress....awesome!....I wish I could build one of these!:( If you are looking for a good red-orange in a gloss paint without having to go the sometimes difficult flourescent route, I just finished an upscale Estes ROGUE by Qmodeling and I used a PLASTICOTE ENGINE enamel in CHEVROLET ORANGE No. 200 and it turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!:D In the sun, this color is AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the tip Bill. I may have to stop by Wal-Mart on the way home tonight. The flourescent is spooking me. I'd hate to screw it up and have to sand it all off. I'll get me a can of the Plasticote.

"...I wish I could build one of these!..."
Well...why not! I'm sure Gordon could make some more parts if properly motivated (ie $$$). You've made some fantastic rockets. I say go for it.

Another upscale I'd like to do is a BT80 Estes Alien Invader. You know..the yellow and black one with the "bulgy" nose cone. It's kind of the "bad guy" to the Interceptor.

Just not enough time to build them all. But, I'm trying.:D

Bill....I didn't feel like fighting the crowd at Wal-Mart, and I already had the Krylon Flourescent, so I decided it was worth a try. It turned out pretty good....

Here are the latest pictures.

Phred...you're the man!

Thanks for all the work you put into these decals. I can't wait to get them. My Interceptor looks kinda sad without them...:D

Phred does great work, doesn't he? I'm gonna be placing an order for the same set (1x scale) soon...

Yes...Phred does excellent work....

Boy howdy does this thing have a lot of decals!!!

Here are a couple of pics of my progress.

It took several hours, but I've finally got all the decals on.

I'll let these dry a day or two, then it's a coat of Future polish.

Back