BT80 based SA-14 Archer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TonyF

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I was dwelling on a BT80 based NCR SA-14 Archer a few weeks back on this forum, but alas, the thread has been deleted.

Well, I decided to follow up on my idea and scratch build one based on
BT80 body.

I picked up the scale data from a rocksim file available at EMRR.

Scale is 65% .

Like I mentioned before, it had to be light. Total weight so far w/o
primer and paint stands at 7.5oz empty. Motor mount is a 3 motor cluster. 2- 18mm x 1-24mm mounts. She's able to take up to a E9 or a F21.

I failed to get build pic's since I didnt know how the rocket would come out... Now I regret it... :-( ...

Here's the rocket b4 filling, primer and paint. I need to round up some decals for this baby.

TonyF

TonyF

Reaction score
Three motor cluster.. Thru the wall aft fins.

Mister Rogers

Reaction score
Hi,
a very good looking rocket so far. I really like the military styling. Post some pics after painting. One question, what went into your choice of 2x18 and 1x24 instead of say 3x24 or 2x24 or 1x29? I am not disagreeing with your choice at all, just curious what factors went into your decision.:)

TonyF

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mister Rogers
Hi,
a very good looking rocket so far. I really like the military styling. Post some pics after painting. One question, what went into your choice of 2x18 and 1x24 instead of say 3x24 or 2x24 or 1x29? I am not disagreeing with your choice at all, just curious what factors went into your decision.:)
I mulled about it for awhile.. I was originally thinking about interchangable motor mounts but finally decided to keep it simple.

The original NCR version had a 29mm(or close to it) and two 24mm mounts. I stuck to the same theme.

But, your right, this baby would be nice on something like 4x24mm cluster.. Cool.. I think I'll make another!!!!

TonyF

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonyf

The original NCR version had a 29mm(or close to it) and two 24mm mounts. I stuck to the same theme.

TonyF
Very nice job, I may have to build one one day!

The original NCR Archer had one 29mm and 2 x 24mm mounts. The Estes/NCR had the almost-29mm mount. I have the latter, upgraded to a real 29mm.

gstarraider

Reaction score
you might want to try upscaling the decals for the estes ata sentinal rocket #1987 off of jimz. i upscales the sentinal and did the decals on my inkjet, turned out great

TonyF

Reaction score
Originally posted by GSTARRAIDER
you might want to try upscaling the decals for the estes ata sentinal rocket #1987 off of jimz. i upscales the sentinal and did the decals on my inkjet, turned out great

Thnx for the Suggestion....

I have a lame inkjet printer and was hoping to avoid having to make my own. Someone on another thread mentioned a photocopy and Kinko's.

Hardest part is getting the Air Force "Stars and Bars" insigna the right size. Major Decal has a set but it is way too large.

I finally found one in a neighborhood hobby shop in Auburn( Elapid's neck of the woods). It's a USAF decal set for an AeroBird of all things... But it look's like it'll fit perfectly!! Just waiting for the weather to clear so I can put on the finishing paint.

TonyF

TonyF

Reaction score
Finally got around to filling, primer and paint..

Decals came out good. Had a few extra USAF decals I've added.

Now for some launch pic's..

TonyF

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Looks great, more like the original than most originals :)

gstarraider

Reaction score
just thought you would like to see the bt80 upscale and the original bt60 ata sentinal with the homemade decals

TonyF

Reaction score
Originally posted by GSTARRAIDER
just thought you would like to see the bt80 upscale and the original bt60 ata sentinal with the homemade decals

Cooooool!!!

Now THAT'S a sweet looking rocket...

Thnx

TonyF