BT sprial Filler Tip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
I'm building a BT 20 36" rocket and while sanding the BT w/600 grit I noticed that the sanding dust filled the sprial seams rather well.
So as a test I left the sanding dust in the sprial groves and sprayed Testors Dull Coat on the BT. So far the test seems to have worked, this is the fastest way I have found to fill sprial seams so far. More later

John
BAR

john,

Great idea, I've sorta tried the same idea with primer...it makes a LOT more dust).

Just spray another coat od primer over the dust last coat...seems to fill faster.

sandman

Sweet !

I've oft contemplated buying a upright sanding table, and sand an entire 34 inch estes tube down to powder, then drop some white glue into the spirals of a project and coat the tube with the powder.

The same process I use for my basswood projects, sand down till smooth, then when I attach two seperate pieces together, I use wood glue with the bass sand filled in over top - super easy to sand smooth and makes for a clean fill.

Originally posted by sandman
john,

Great idea, I've sorta tried the same idea with primer...it makes a LOT more dust).

Just spray another coat od primer over the dust last coat...seems to fill faster.

sandman

Common wisdom says to wipe off the dust before you spray, ostensibly so you don't seal a rough coat onto the body. Does the primer cover it enough that the result is smooth?

Ok
More results are in ..... After I sprayed the testors dull coat I resanded using 600 grit .. used a tack cloth to remove dust..
and then put on a coat of Kyrlon primer... after the primer is dry I will sand again and prep for finish color coat....

John
BAR

Back