BT-55 wrap

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAR86238

Reaction score
Hello Everybody

HNY!

I'm looking for either an an application or file whereby I can print
a fin-marking (three fins) wrap for a BT-55 tube. Anybody got a site or place or file or something to help me out?

thanks

stewart

The VCP program - which can be downloaded from here:

https://nar.org/software.html

will pint out fin wrappers, fin position guides and transition templates. (It is actually designed to compute CP and CG locations, but it is pretty easy to use and has built in tools to print templates as well).

-Kerry

Last edited:
There's a low-tech method I always use. Take a piece of printer paper and wrap once around the tube and mark where the edge touches. This gives you diameter. Then take a ruler and lay it across the paper at an angle and divide the diameter into three equal segments. Extend the marks to the edge of the paper using some kind of right angle and you're done. You can mark the launch lug at the same time. Not better than using the computer but faster. And no tech needed.

Why not just print out an end view pattern below and make the tube at the lines with a pencil or sharpie. Extent the lines as far as you wish in a door jamb or with an angle or channel.

I find those wrap around marking guides cumbersome and often inaccurate. where the two guides below cover any size BT I want to mark.

Or make marking guides as shown in the last picture below. I think the Estes combination marking guides are OOP but I've seen them still in local hobby shops and on e-bay.
Hope this helps or at least gives you an alternative method:)

3,4 &6 fin marking guide (Estes)_03-83.jpg

4 fin marking guide (Estes)_03-83.jpg

View attachment Centuri Body tube fin marking guide_12-06.pdf

View attachment fin guide-a_Estes tubes_12-06.pdf

6- fin making fixtures_12-31-06.jpg

Microsoft word can draw rectangles, lines, and circles of all sizes. I use it when I've got an odd size tube, or non-evenly-spaced fins.

I found this postscript program in which you can specify just about any size and unit tubing and get wraps printed out.

I use it with Acrobat Distiller, to generate a PDF, though Apple's Preview seems to work fine as well. Just make sure you don't have it set to scale (either up or down) when printing.

I've used it to generate a 5 fin template for a couple of builds and have been happy.

Tube Wrap Postscript program

Cheers,
Jon

I use the previously-mentioned VCP. It allows me to tweak the settings to account for the thickness of the paper, etc. so that the wrap fits precisely.

MarkII

There's a low-tech method I always use. Take a piece of printer paper and wrap once around the tube and mark where the edge touches. This gives you diameter. Then take a ruler and lay it across the paper at an angle and divide the diameter into three equal segments. Extend the marks to the edge of the paper using some kind of right angle and you're done. You can mark the launch lug at the same time. Not better than using the computer but faster. And no tech needed.

Yeah, that's what I do as well... I find I can do that just as fast if not faster than actually going online and finding the thing, typing everything in or selecting it, and printing one out...

Plus, it doesn't matter what type or size tube you have-- it works every time...

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Plus, it's as accurate as you are... you don't have to trust anybody else's figuring or programming...

Back