BT 100's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrier

Reaction score
Looking for BT 100 for my clone ML. I know that back i Aug 03 there was a thread of such, but here it is 10 months later and need help. Where can I find such a critter. I only need one for right now. Anybody got a bead on one?::(

Totally Tubular has them (although the website probably isn't updated.)

www.totubular.com

Just be prepared to wait a while after you place your order to receive it.

Originally posted by Fore Check
Totally Tubular has them (although the website probably isn't updated.)

www.totubular.com

Just be prepared to wait a while after you place your order to receive it.

Do you mean the BT-100's, BT-101's or both?

I see the BT-101's listed.

I took it to mean BT100. He has them, but the website isn't updated to reflect that.

TT got em (BT100) I just got an email back from them. I'm ordering 8 tubes this Sunday. 7 bucks each plus he has couplers.

JOHN STOP!!!!

Don't order the T-100 thinking you will get a BT-100!!!

It's not the right tube!!

I was over at Totally Tubular last night his T-100 tube is the heavy walled 3" tube for the Big Daddy! He was just as suprised as I was.

He says that he has never heard of the 3.744" BT-100 and he thought what he had was it.

IT IS NOT THE BT-100!!!

But if you want a 34" long Big Daddy tube...that's it:D

I don't know where you can get the 3.744" BT-100.

Again.
DO NOT ORDER THE TOTALLY TUBULAR T-100 THINKING IT'S AN ESTED BT-100. IT'S NOT!

He does not have a BT-100 sized body tube in stock!

sandman

I found this in the Ninfinger site.

BT-100CE 3.50" 3.702" 3.744" 0.021"
BT-100Z 10.89" 3.702" 3.744" 0.021"
BT-101 16.50" 3.896" 3.938" 0.021"
BT-101K 7.59" 3.896" 3.938" 0.021"
BT-101T 2.78" 3.896" 3.938" 0.021"

would it be a possible option to take a slice out of a BT 101 and re-glue the strip to the inside?
It would be pretty easy to do with a short tube like the mars lander

would it be a possible option to take a slice out of a BT 101 and re-glue the strip to the inside?

Short of rolling your own, that is the ONLY option.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Short of rolling your own, that is the ONLY option.

In case Mr. Flis (or any other potential supplier) is reading this....

Would it be possible to bring out a "true" BT-100? How much demand would you need to see to make this worthwhile for you?

Just curious, because I'd like to do an SS Cassiopeia clone, and I'd rather have a BT100 for that rear ring than a BT101. I'd even buy an entire 34" tube...

Mike Mistele

we've been toying around with the idea of a BT100 and/or BT101 for inventory and parts sales. Problem is *space*... where do you store thousands of BT100's????? :p

Originally posted by jflis
we've been toying around with the idea of a BT100 and/or BT101 for inventory and parts sales. Problem is *space*... where do you store thousands of BT100's????? :p

Good point. Out of curiosity -- when you do a production run on body tubes, is it really that big a minimum size?

(Half-facetiously -- you could use the BT100s to hold smaller tubes in your storage room. :-D)

Just out of curiosity, how much would someone pay for a custom one-off body tube? I assume there would be a one-time charge for a custom reusable last, plus construction time and materials, but if you could have your choice of OD/ID and material...

Originally posted by kenobi65
In case Mr. Flis (or any other potential supplier) is reading this....

Would it be possible to bring out a "true" BT-100? How much demand would you need to see to make this worthwhile for you?

Just curious, because I'd like to do an SS Cassiopeia clone, and I'd rather have a BT100 for that rear ring than a BT101. I'd even buy an entire 34" tube...

Mike Mistele

Hey Mike,

Just FYI, in case this affects your opinion on the Cassiopeia clone any:

The BT101 is very close in size to the BT100. I set a couple of rings (one BT100, the other BT101) next to each other on the table, and it's quite difficult to tell them apart with the naked eye. I think the fact that they were only 1" long or tall really helped to hide the size difference.

I guess what I'm saying is: If you go with a BT101 instead of a BT100 on a Cassiopiea clone, you'll probably be the only one who ever knows the difference - unless you take yours and hold it ring-to-ring with one made with a BT100 for the only purpose of doing a size comparison.

Really. There's enough other details on the rocket to catch the observer's attention, the ring is so short relative to its diameter, and its so close to a BT100 that no one will ever know the difference unless you tell them.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess what I'm saying is: If you go with a BT101 instead of a BT100 on a Cassiopiea clone, you'll probably be the only one who ever knows the difference - unless you take yours and hold it ring-to-ring with one made with a BT100 for the only purpose of doing a size comparison.

Fair enough. :D I was worried about how much fiddling I'd have to do with the fins that hold the ring, but less than 0.2" shouldn't make that much of a diff, eh?

And, with 101s fairly readily available, but true 100s not so, that would seem to make the decision that much easier.

Mike

If you go with the BT101, I'd recommend cutting the fins according to the templates, without increasing their size.

You see, the fins slip over the outside of the ring, rather than the ring slipping over the fins. Also, particularly if you're like me - I tend to cut the fins a fraction larger than the templates just because of the method I use for tracing them on the balsa sheeting - you may not have to "fiddle" very much at all. In any event, the "fiddling" would entail sanding down the fins where they attach to the ring to accomodate a nice snug fit, which would be relatively easy to do.

Here's a close up of the fin attachment point to the ring on my Cassiopiea to give you a better mental picture of what I'm talking about.

You see, the fins slip over the outside of the ring, rather than the ring slipping over the fins. Also, particularly if you're like me - I tend to cut the fins a fraction larger than the templates just because of the method I use for tracing them on the balsa sheeting - you may not have to "fiddle" very much at all. In any event, the "fiddling" would entail sanding down the fins where they attach to the ring to accomodate a nice snug fit, which would be relatively easy to do.

Here's a close up of the fin attachment point to the ring on my Cassiopiea to give you a better mental picture of what I'm talking about.

Makes sense -- actually, I've built the Cassie once before (the original kit, back in 1980), so I can picture exactly what you're saying.

I had been concerened about the 101 being too tight a fit, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's probably not a major issue.

Mike

Originally posted by kenobi65
Good point. Out of curiosity -- when you do a production run on body tubes, is it really that big a minimum size?

(Half-facetiously -- you could use the BT100s to hold smaller tubes in your storage room. :-D)

No, the *minimum* size order is much smaller, but you get a better price break the higher you go in quantity.

If anyone out there has a Saturn V kit they DO plan to build, and they are looking for a 1" piece of BT-100 open it NOW.

There is a 1" piece of BT-100 in the kit!

I built mine and I am fairly meticulous at following instruction and I was never sure where it went.

It is supposed to be cut into short pieces to reinforce the lower body.

I just used some scrap material for that and wound up with a 1" piece of BT-100...soooo...I built an SS Casseopia!

Look on the first page of instructions on the parts list. it is the "Reinforcing Ring (1) 30261

Go now...open it up!

sandman

or scavenge the body from the big R2D2 kit..the thing flys awfull anyway..

Hey Mike:

I think I'm going to have a 4" piece of BT101 left over from the 34" piece I just got from TT. I think so, anyway - I haven't figured out a good idea for it yet.

I have about 15 or 20 6" pieces of BT-101's left over from all the Little Joe II kits.

I have no idea what to do with them all.

sandman

Fore Check and / or Sandman,

If you're willing to part with a chunk of BT-101, send me a private message or an e-mail. I'd gladly pay you for it, and (of course) pay shipping.

Mike

The big R2D2 flies fine if you change the motor mount to 24mm, add some nose weight, and use a D12-3.

Papa Tango's Mars Lander is BT-101 sized--I plan to replace the phenolic tube with paper and the aluminum rods with Stika Spruce, to make it a bit lighter. IIRC, Tom's centering rings fit just fine in the Kosrox BT-101. But, first I need to finish painting my Kosrox Mars Lander--I just finished sanding the first primer coat. Don't remember what year I started it :eek:

Sandman,
Would you consider cutting down the extra BT-101s you have to 3.5" for those of us who want to convert the Outlander to a Mars Lander? I'd gladly pay you for one, or two, and slice it to the correct diameter or just leave it.
Drew Tomko

Back