Bt-10?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I hoping someone can help find, locate, give me specs on BT-10. I'm trying to clone Astron Streak. Please chime in if you can help.

As far as I know, BT -10 mylar tube is not available. It was used as an ultra-light tube for contest purposes. But glue would not stick to it, so you had to wrap it with a paper sticker anyway. I am not convinced that this was any weight advantage over regular BT-20. That is what I used on my clone. It worked just like every other one of the Streaks that I built as a kid:

Whoooosh....POP..... Gone..... :(

This was on a 1/2A6-2!! Oh well, I am sure I will build and lose a few more over the next few years!!

believe it or not.....bt-10 was a clear mylar plastic tube that was 9" in length and .710 ID with a .005" thick wall..so the OD was .720"

Bt-10H was clear mylar plastic tube 3.062" in length..the astron streak used this as the body tube

the nose cone bnc-10a was 1 1/16" in length (1.0625")

an estes astron streak was actually my 2nd model rocket after the astron scout

heres the JimZ plans:
https://www.dars.org/jimz/estes/k-04.pdf

HTH

That's stinks I seems every time I wanna clone something it don't work out. Thanks for the help though

BT-10 is close enough to BT-20. I'd just need to sand the NC a tad bit. I still won't count it as an actual clone though. Thanks everyone.

mkmillion,
Your substitution of BT-20 is probably a much better idea, especially if you are going to paint the rocket anyway (why kill yourself to find see-through plastic tubing and then paint it?)

I built about three of the little Astron Streak rockets when I was a kid, and I remember that plastic BT as being extremely wimpy. It was very crushable, and did not have anywhere near the strength of the regular paper BTs. The only reason to use the mylar for BT material was to have a see-through rocket, but as astronboy has already noted, you had to use a sticky-paper applique on the nose and tail to be able to glue on the NC and fins, so there wasn't much of the BT left to actually 'see' through.

And after you flew it a few times and the ejection charge scorched the insides, you couldn't see through what was left!

well, the other reason for the BT10 (specifically in the Sprite) was for weight. The BT10 had much lower weight per inch than the BT20.

I'll agree it was much from an overall vehicle weight point of view, but the goal with that rocket was to make the lightest highest flying rocket possible at the time.

Back