BSG Viper goes for what!?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verna

Reaction score
Holy Frak Starbuck!

Ok, I know I have mentioned this before but Ebay has reached a new level. I've been following some items over there to see what they'd go for and nearly fainted when tonight I saw an opened Estes BSG Viper go for $91.09 + $7.00 shipping. That's $98.09 total! :eek:

Obviously, the BSG Viper is one of my favorites but $98.09? :jaw:

Sure, it's great for the seller and the buyer must have wanted it very badly and was willing to pay top dollar, more power to them both but I am still in shock, when it can be very well cloned for about $20. :eyepop:

At least $7 for shipping isn't that bad. There was a Saturn V a week or two back that the seller was charging $25 just to ship in the lower 48.

Caveat emptor?

SO SAY WE ALL!

Verna
<www.vernarockets.com>

I think it is time for a maxi kit from estes. I would definitely sell.

I may try when I get back to the US. I have seen your site. Your builds are incredible.

verna I have a odd feeling that it is the same person selling that viper as the one selling both R2D2 and the maxi Brute Xwing for 100

verna I have a odd feeling that it is the same person selling that viper as the one selling both R2D2 and the maxi Brute Xwing for 100

Could be, it's amazing what people will pay for some balsa and cardboard.

What's even more amazing than that is what people will pay for shipping. I learned quickly to look first at what the shipping will be. Some folks try to boost their profit by bumping the shiping to outrageous amounts. They get $20 for a kit and want $20 to ship when the kit would easily fit in a $8.00 flat rate box. There was a Saturn V sellera few days ago that wanted $25 to ship it USPS when the actual charge was $14.00.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Verna,

I was the one who bought that kit. :cyclops:

There is a reason for everything. I plan to make resin cast copies of the nose cone and I wanted an original cone to start with. I have tried making copies from another copy with bad results. Besides, RTV mold material is expensive.

I also have a perfect decal sheet to work with as well now. The one on Jimz's site is a bit mangled.

I may roll out a kit now that I have everything I need to produce a clean clone.
With a Kevlar shockcord setup to boot!

Here are some PNC-50CA cones I made this weekend. :clap:

100_1037.jpg

100_1039.jpg

Kewl Ray!:cool: Always wanted a Viper..Will have to get one or three:rolleyes: when you release it!;)

Kewl Ray!:cool: Always wanted a Viper..Will have to get one or three:rolleyes: when you release it!;)
That's the plan, still have alot to do yet before this will see daylight.

I figure the price will be around $20 bucks. Seem reasonable?

Verna,

I was the one who bought that kit. :cyclops:

There is a reason for everything. I plan to make resin cast copies of the nose cone and I wanted an original cone to start with. I have tried making copies from another copy with bad results. Besides, RTV mold material is expensive.

I also have a perfect decal sheet to work with as well now. The one on Jimz's site is a bit mangled.

I may roll out a kit now that I have everything I need to produce a clean clone.
With a Kevlar shockcord setup to boot!

Here are some PNC-50CA cones I made this weekend. :clap:

Ok, that makes sense, Randy did the same thing several years ago so Mike at Moldin' Oldies could do some clones for us and also have the cone in his inventory but I think he only paid about $30 back then for the one he got.

There was no way to have known but I wish I had known you were going to try and produce a kit, I would have sent our original Viper nose cone to you to use and saved you $98.00.

I hope you can produce some kits, we'd buy some to help you out. If the kit you bought is actually still sealed DON'T open it! I will still lend you one of our original Viper nose cones to use to make your clones and you can have yours as a collector's kit and maybe one day recoup your investment.

Randy scanned the Viper decals and sent them to Tom at Tango Papa. Are you going to do your own decals too? Personally, I like the water slides more than the peel and stick.

You probably know that the Estes kit turbo tubes (bt52s I think) are no longer made, but a 29mm motor tube is a great substitute.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

There was no way to have known but I wish I had known you were going to try and produce a kit, I would have sent our original Viper nose cone to you to use and saved you $98.00.
Wow, thanks for the offer!

I hope you can produce some kits, we'd buy some to help you out. If the kit you bought is actually still sealed DON'T open it! I will still lend you one of our original Viper nose cones to use to make your clones and you can have yours as a collector's kit and maybe one day recoup your investment.
I will produce some kits and the one I just bought was opened. Part of the reason I bought it so I wouldn't be breaking a sealed kit.

Three words, Tax Write Off. :D

Randy scanned the Viper decals and sent them to Tom at Tango Papa. Are you going to do your own decals too? Personally, I like the water slides more than the peel and stick.
I'll be doing water slide decals.

You probably know that the Estes kit turbo tubes (bt52s I think) are no longer made, but a 29mm motor tube is a great substitute.
Semroc has the BT52's, just ordered some. :D

That's the plan, still have alot to do yet before this will see daylight.

I figure the price will be around $20 bucks. Seem reasonable?

Ray,

I think $20 would be very reasonable for a quality BSG Viper kit but at that price will you be able to make enough to make it worth your while?

We aren't that far from the Christmas shopping season. Any chance you'll have some kits ready to ship by then? :confused:

Please tell me shipping won't be $30. ;)

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Ray,

I think $20 would be very reasonable for a quality BSG Viper kit but at that price will you be able to make enough to make it worth your while?

We aren't that far from the Christmas shopping season. Any chance you'll have some kits ready to ship by then? :confused:

Please tell me shipping won't be $30. ;)

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
I already did a rough estimate and my cut is figured into the $20 dollar amount. No worries.

Christmas shopping season... :eyepop:
I'll try, no promises yet.

Shipping will be the standard $6.00 bucks. If the shipping is more than that because you bought 2 pounds worth of kits I will cover it.

Btw, I use a non shrinking RTV mold material so the nose cone will fit nice and snug inside the tube.

Back