BSD Horizon 54

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marxi

German Rocketeer
Reaction score
Hi !

Just thougt, I should share my two flight successes with you ! :)

Building the kit was´nt difficult at all. Since I had to make it flyable whithin 9 days ;-))
(, because I wanted to fly it at a meeting, but it was then too windy).

I have to say, that it isn´t that easy to fly HPR- motors in Germay.. much licenses are needed to make it possible.
You have to know, that you can only buy and fly BP- Motors till 20g of propellant without a so called "T2- Schein", license after §27.
Because I´m only 16, I´m not allowed to make this, but if you want to fly bigger motors, you just have to know sb., you ownes one and supervisors you the whole prepping time.. I think, this is a little bit, like you handle this ?!?

Since I´m writing 3 years in the German rocketry forum and visited many events (https://www.raketenmodellbau.de - many guys read yours!), they have the confidence in me, (they let me know, when I´m making a mistake in building etc.) that I am able to do this.. ;)

You can read the building steps of the Horizon 54 at: https://213.239.205.81/~rmb/showthread.php?threadid=3704

Since I only flew SU- Motors with the max of an G80T, my first RMS- motor was an I195J ;-)) (AT´s biggest J.. ok, now - that´s a step..), which brought it to around 3000 feet under a very neck snapping velocity. The same distance from the pad ;-) it landed at least (Main at apogee - motor ejection). That was´nt a problem, since we were on a very nice, big field.

The second flight was just as great as the first - it landed again without any damage.
After giving a price for the people, who gets it in a picture, only one made it ;-)..
Ok, I made it very hard, since I used a I300T.. :p

I hope, you have fun reading this.. if there are any questions, I´ll try to answer them in my bad Englisch ;-) :eek:

Here´s my cover- picture with both flights on them..

Though, Pegi and Rocketom get at the nicest pics of a event at all the time, my Horizon was too fast, that it got caught..

After the event pegi wanted to search for the winner of "The most expressive exhaust", but my supervisor
(Oli4 - T-Rocketry) won or better said, I lost badly.. :D

But - Ok, he had to use at least an J570W in the Rebell Buccaneer to win.. :D ;)

Yeah, HPR is extremely fun, but I still have to wait 2 years to do this "on my own".

Marxi

When this pic was shot, Oli4 meant, that this pic doesn´t show my nervousity ..
I´ve still blood in the adrenalin.. *lol*

:D

Cool , welcome to the forum Marxi! Congrats on the Horizons flight ! I share your pain , over in the UK we have to have lots and lots of licenses to fly HPR also.
The launchpad you are using looks awesome , what type is that ?

Other TRF'ers :
Take a look at the High Power / Showfly section! Lots of neat rockets!

Karl

Awesome photos!!! I can't wait to fly Ls and Ms. It scares my dad but that's the fun thing about it!!!:D :D

Very cool! As for the "best exhaust" contest - I like the big blue flame better! Much harder to get!

Loopy

Loopy have you registerd on that forum ? I CANNOT do it :( Whats with the Lattitude & Longitude stuff:( ?

Hi !
Thanks !!

@ Karl:
The launchpad you are using looks awesome , what type is that ?
Oh, thanks, but it isn´t mine.. :D ;)
I borrowed it from Neil. He said, that he made it out of an Alu traverse, which are used on stages to hold the lights etc. over the actors ;-).. it´s really a good idea and looks great.
But after the I195J he was very mad :D ;), because the launchpad became pretty black, so he made me to clean it and carry it back to the car.. really ! :D
At this moment I would´nt have said, it´s a Alu Rail.. I´m sure, it weights 15kilo at least and is undestructable this way ;-)

Loopy have you registerd on that forum ? I CANNOT do it Whats with the Lattitude & Longitude stuff ?
Hhmm... normally it should go.. The Lattitude and Longitude stuff is thought for a map, where the beginners of the hobbie in Germany can see, where´s sb. to meet etc.

@ GL-P:
Awesome photos!!! I can't wait to fly Ls and Ms.
Oh, I had to sell lots of things in eBay to be able to fly her again at ALRS (Switzerland) in September... ;-))

@ Loopy: Oh yes.. I dont´know, what was made right, but on the I300T the blue flame comes out really, really nice ..

Marxi

That makes me wonder what those I435's that are coming to me will do! :D

The rocket looks great. Actually, i've got a few I-196 J's in the order too, so it should be fun...
Very nice rocket and pictures. Welcome to the forum!

Marxi , thanks for posting ..nice flight!

I have browsed the german forum quite a bit ...there are some amazing projects and pictures to view... plus lots of V2's and variations(my favorites)

welcome!

I haven't registered on the site, I was just commenting on the attached pictures. I haven't had a chance to look at that site yet.

Originally posted by Karl
Cool , welcome to the forum Marxi! Congrats on the Horizons flight ! I share your pain , over in the UK we have to have lots and lots of licenses to fly HPR also.

Karl

You only need 1 licence (plus a registered store & RCA if you want acquire+keep).
The UK licence is only needed to fly AP (and possibly the Estes E).
In Germany you need the T2-schein to fly an Estes D motor or to cluster anything!!! Technically even clustered MicroMaxx require a licence.
Flying AP is virtually impossible, and any Estes motor without the BAM seal on it is also classified as an explosive (even if it is a 1/4A!).

Ouch!! And It's not excactley like a clusterd MMX rocket could do much damage unless you were on about 9999999999999x MMX motors :D

And even a license is required to fly a normal Estes D ?! Woah!

Oh, thanks for reminding me of this ;-)) :D

Yes, without the German "T2- Schein" you aren´t allowed to use, storage, buy etc. even BP Motor with more than 20grams of Propellant.

But as you can see on the fact, that I could fly this bird.. if there is an event (,which are not so rare) with all the neccessary licences and buddies, who have the "T2- Schein", it´s absolutely not impossible to fly bigger motors..

Also not thaat bad ;-)

Marxi

Hey !

---------- > Project Update < ----------

Well, many things changed on the Horizon 54!

---
ALRS 5 (18.- 20. Sept.) was a blast !
The 4,5m Scale Ariane 4 flew perfectly on an M, 2*Ks and 2 J´s.
Man, that was unbelievable !!!
(pics: https://www.argoshpr.ch)
---

When Oliver Szcesny, a German rocketeer asked me, if I wanted to fly the Horizon 54 with Dual- Deployment, I of course took the chance and made her ready for this! :cool:

Pic: Prepping the improvised E- Bay.. We had much fun at ALRS as you can see:

Since the Redlines aren´t certified in Switzerland, yet, I went to Gary Rosenfield (Yeah !! :cool: ), who had ;-) to put the motors together.
This was the condition to fly these motors, declared as "Demo- Flights".

Pic (by Oli4): Gary Rosenfield, Rolf Orell (prefect Tripoli Sweden!) and I´m extremely excited to stand in front of them.. O man ! :D

Shortly after this moment we were ready and went to the RSO/ LCO tent.. and at least to the pad !

Pic: (by Oli4) Yup, we smiled the hole time ;-))) :D

Countdown... *excitement*.. and then it went very straight on the I218 Redline
(38/360 - my smallest RMS so far ;-))))

(pic by Oli4)

A very, very nice motor !!!

After the Drogue came (Salt (German Altimeter) ejection and Motor ejection were close to simultanously (10sec.)), many and at least I was very happy, but when the Main came at 600ft. .. there was pure adrenalin in my body !! :D

*whohoo*
Thanks again, Oliver ! All was great !

(pic by Stefan Wimmer)

hi Marxi!

scho...!(insiderjoke\off)

nice flight!the SALT worked perfect(like it`s always doing!), I hope i`ll finish a rocket with dual deployment until BC-Days 2k5....:D

i`ve got a real good vid of the flight, but it`s too big for an attachment....

mfg roman

Hi !

Just thougt, I should share my two flight successes with you ! :)

Building the kit was´nt difficult at all. Since I had to make it flyable whithin 9 days ;-))
(, because I wanted to fly it at a meeting, but it was then too windy).

I have to say, that it isn´t that easy to fly HPR- motors in Germay.. much licenses are needed to make it possible.
You have to know, that you can only buy and fly BP- Motors till 20g of propellant without a so called "T2- Schein", license after §27.
Because I´m only 16, I´m not allowed to make this, but if you want to fly bigger motors, you just have to know sb., you ownes one and supervisors you the whole prepping time.. I think, this is a little bit, like you handle this ?!?

Since I´m writing 3 years in the German rocketry forum and visited many events (https://www.raketenmodellbau.de - many guys read yours!), they have the confidence in me, (they let me know, when I´m making a mistake in building etc.) that I am able to do this.. ;)

You can read the building steps of the Horizon 54 at: https://213.239.205.81/~rmb/showthread.php?threadid=3704

Since I only flew SU- Motors with the max of an G80T, my first RMS- motor was an I195J ;-)) (AT´s biggest J.. ok, now - that´s a step..), which brought it to around 3000 feet under a very neck snapping velocity. The same distance from the pad ;-) it landed at least (Main at apogee - motor ejection). That was´nt a problem, since we were on a very nice, big field.

The second flight was just as great as the first - it landed again without any damage.
After giving a price for the people, who gets it in a picture, only one made it ;-)..
Ok, I made it very hard, since I used a I300T.. :p

I hope, you have fun reading this.. if there are any questions, I´ll try to answer them in my bad Englisch ;-) :eek:

Here´s my cover- picture with both flights on them..
Hello, Marxi!

I just happened upon your image while viewing another site - what a beautiful Black Brant in your photo! Is that photograph from 2004, or is it more recent? Could you tell me more about that HPR model (e.g., a kit or scratch-built? length/width? 54mm MMT? etc.)? Regardless, nice job! (Also, where was that photo taken? Fantastic scenery!)

Hi,

Thank you! Interesting to see what has happened since 2004. Compared to then, we are now allowed to fly up to 150g propellant mass (baby H-Motor) without a license. Unfortunately, nevertheless, the rocketeers in Germany have become fewer.

When I was 18 years (and 2 weeks ;-)) old I certified L1 using the BSD Horizon 54 and had then given up the hobby because of the army, law school and high workload. In 2021 I found time again and caught up on the TRA certifications.
In March 2022 I successfully certified L3 using a heavily modified 6" all fiberglass BBII (98mm MMT) from Madcow Rocketry. I even made the fins scale-profiled using Balsa wood and fiberglass reinforcement. My prefect was Jürg Thüring and Andreas Müller from Switzerland, so I had to travel there in order to be able to certify.

You can find pictures on the website of our friends in Switzerland: ARGOS HPR CH

Best regards
Marxi

Attachments

• bsd1(pegi).jpg
    bsd1(pegi).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boost.jpg
    Boost.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 0
Hello again, and thank you for sharing your story - fun to view (the links, too)! Sorry to hear about fewer German rocketeers - you seem like a great ambassador for the hobby, and perhaps might help reverse that trend.
My [similar] hiatus, due to grad. school, marriage and career began before certification even existed: the last rocket I flew before 2018 was an Estes Cherokee-D, on a D12-7, in c. 1972 (a rocket I still have). I acquired my L2 (N.A.R.) in 2022 with a Public Missiles 38mm MMT Callisto, flying on an AeroTech J420R. I am currently building a couple of 54mm kits (my first), as well as a 75mm half-scale reproduction. Fiberglass and dual-deploy are new to me. While I've selected the specific rocket, I have not yet even purchased the kit for my L3 certification attempt.
Thank you, too, for the information. You did a remarkable job on your BBII (the fins, especially, caught my eye), but I'm guessing that it's a fairly recent build, unlike my prior assumption that it was 'older' (I've only been on this website a few years, unlike your having joined it in 2004.).
Please continue to post - you have interesting 'stuff'!

Last edited:
Back