BSD Horizon 3" VERSION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
Has anybody upgraded this rocket to 38mm capacity.?

Please share your experience.

Thanks

Stewart,

I have one, and while I didn't do what you're talking about I have no doubt it could handle it fine..

The most i've flown mine on to date has been G64's..and it really scoots with those..

I should get it up here within the next month on an H, I'm still undecided which i'll try, either a 128 or 180..

I'm guessing 14 to 1500 feet on the G64 it went way up there..

I love my 3" BSD Horizon. It will scoot on a G64 and like firemanup said there is no doubt it will handle an H128 or H180. A 38mm mmt is overkill but I think the Horizon could take it with ease. Curious, why go with a 38mm?

Keith

I love my 3" BSD Horizon. It will scoot on a G64 and like firemanup said there is no doubt it will handle an H128 or H180. A 38mm mmt is overkill but I think the Horizon could take it with ease. Curious, why go with a 38mm?

Keith

I love my 3" BSD Horizon. It will scoot on a G64 and I'm sure it can handle an H128 or H180 with ease. Not sure why you would go 38mm but the Horizon should be able to take it with no major modifications.

Sorry about the double post, the first post disappeared for a short time.

L1 requires H power or a popular 29 mm motor. Likewise, L2, J power and a popular 38 mm motor. (Does anybody produce J impulse in a 29 mm package?) Probably a bit much for this rocket?

Stewart,

I honestly have no doubt the rocket could take a J motor...

The components are all heavy enough, i build with both internal and external fillets on the fins, to the motor tube, inside body tube and outside body tube..

The problem would be making it stable i guess.. with that much motor.. also ever finding it again as it would be up there without much or any room for dual deploy..

If you want something to handle the 29's and 38's why not the 4" Horizon, it comes with a 38mm tube stock...

Yeah, I agree - a 38mm J (or any J, for that matter) is a little much for that rocket. I don't think you'd ever see it again. If it's getting 1500 feet on a G64, I don't even want to think about the altitude you'd get on a motor 6 times as powerful. Not to mention the stability issue. The 3" Horizon would be fine for L1 on an H128, H180, H238, or even an H165. For L2, definitely go with a bigger rocket.

Loopy

and purchased the 3" Horiz. Looking forward to construction and flight.

Comes with rail buttons. Are the rails standardized, and where can I get one?

Thanks

Stewart,

Giant Leap carries rails and I think i've seen people say that McMaster Carr has them also..

I've got enough rail enabled birds I should get one.. most organized launches will have them also.. which is where i fly most of my stuff...

It's a great rocket...I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've got an organized launch i'm going to on the 22nd and i'll try to get mine up on a H motor and i'll let ya know how it performed...but like i said the G64's i've put it up on really get it up there by themselves..

Have fun..

Check out railbuttons.com. Not only can you buy more rail buttons from Matt, he has some excellent information on how & where to install them on your rockets as well as information about getting your hands on a rail.

Back