Bruce's Scale Sputnik

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Would you like a jelly baby?
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, as teased before, I am answering a challenge to upscale my 4" Splatnik. This will be a scratch built 12" diameter (roughly 1/2 sized) model of Sputnik 1. 3 engine cluster, streamer recovery.
I'm going to post as I go. Step 1: Gather the parts.IMG_20200310_205047.jpg

IMG_20200311_162247.jpg motor mount built. IMG_20200311_213049.jpg
Core hole drilled.
Mount is sized for D12-3 motors. Will use adapters for first flight on A8-3.
Next is the bulkhead for the "nose".

Are you not using a parachute?

Our Akavish rockets were a similar design and size. Though, with eight legs and fur, they were a little heavier and more draggy.

When the parachute failed to deploy properly, the rocket landed pretty hard. Usually one of more of the "legs" would break or detach from the core of rocket when it came down head-first.

We mostly solved that problem by using a larger motor so there was time enough for the delay to eject the parachute. We ended up flying it on G motors with the shortest delay possible.

Are you not using a parachute?

Our Akavish rockets were a similar design and size. Though, with eight legs and fur, they were a little heavier and more draggy.

When the parachute failed to deploy properly, the rocket landed pretty hard. Usually one of more of the "legs" would break or detach from the core of rocket when it came down head-first.

We mostly solved that problem by using a larger motor so there was time enough for the delay to eject the parachute. We ended up flying it on G motors with the shortest delay possible.
Planning on using streamers.

Covering the attachment points for the antennae with rocketpoxy. Next up streamers and shock cord.

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_171900.jpg
    IMG_20200326_171900.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 38
I'm looking forward to an extremely complicated paint job for this one, with lots of masking and decals. Perhaps a flame job.
Not happening. Going with plain silver. There's a couple of new things I tried with this one and I just want to see it fly, preferably twice. Once on A8-3s and once on D12-3s.

Years ago, I drew up a sketch for a Sputnik made from a re-purposed globe, but never made it. This has me inspired to revisit that idea.

And just to be a goof, I might go crazy with a complicated and hilarious paint job.

Prepare for it to be possibly underpowered on a cluster of A8s. Our similar-sized and shaped Akavish flew best on a G motor. Even then, we eventually started using an altimeter to fire the ejection charge because the motor delays were too long.

Of course, ours had eight "legs" and was covered with fur so it was a little heavier and more draggy.

Back