Broke down and got and Accur8 skin kit for my Redstone

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by DankMemes, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jun 27, 2018 #1

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I’ve always been a paint it myself guy, having done model car kits and RC aircraft for years, but the detail on the Accur8 skin kit caught my eye... hoping it’ll hold up because I plan on flying this rocket hard, had a few e2x kits with skins that I was pleased with but this will be the first scale build I’ve done with a skin, also picked up Johns molded fins to see how they stack up to the balsa...

Anyone have experience with these skins and any pro tips for success?

2. Jun 27, 2018 #2

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

I used the skins for the Estes LJ II. The adhesive is very strong, which is a good thing. However, it also means you only get one shot at laying it down correctly. If you are misaligned and try to pull it off it'll take the paint up with it. But the end result is great. Highly detailed, better than I could do with any paint or decal job. I also have the Mercury Redstone and Gemini Titan skins in the build pile. IMG_20180627_055732_281.jpg
    The skins are the white portion of the rocket.
    John has interspersed tips and tricks on the fine print of the wrap. Also, the instruction sheet included with each skin kit is highly detailed and specific for that model. Follow them, and I'm sure you will have a successful result.

MoeB likes this.
  3. Jul 6, 2018 #3

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

ToneDeafJunior

I found the Accur8 easy to apply. I used to work at a sign shop in college and we used to spray windex on glass before applying vinyl lettering and logos. I used the same approach here and it allowed me to better line the skins up before the glue dried. I don't know if John would approve of this but it's what i did and it worked well.

Attached Files:

MoeB likes this.