Brits and Licences

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Just a general converstation thread here, I've heard a few of the Brits say they're thinking of getting the licences to get MPR motors.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge myself, age being an issue with me I e-mailed the UKRA Safety + Technical commitee to see if the new what the age restrictions were. They were very helpful and told me in Lincolnshire the age was 16 but that it could vary for other constabularies. I havn't had a chance to check it out for my area but 16 sounds good as I'm only a few months off. I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to take the plunge or if my parents will let me!

How close are some of you Brits to getting the ball rolling for your licences? it would good to hear how you get on.

Mike,

Do it.

If you can get the Estes E9 (don't know if they send 'em to the UK yet) that is a sweet motor.

Not a whole lot of thrust. but such a long burn.

sandman

Good idea for a thread, Mike! :)

I've been um-ing & ah-ing about getting my licences. The new Deepsky shop is so full of M/HPR stuff, now, that I'm getting more & more serious about moving up.

I have one major obsticle; although I've brought the lease on my flat, the building itself is owned by a landlord (the council), and I've got to convince them to allow me to register as an explsives store. I know for a fact, North Somerset council will not allow any of their properties to be registered as explosives stores, for the purpose of storing display fireworks.

As it looks like M/HPR stuff is going to be easier to get, over here, I'm thinking it might be worth my while fighting my case against the council, and try to convince them that Rocket Motors are not fireworks!

Dan, I have a similar problem, not the council but I really can't see my Mum agreeing to register the house. I havn't tried asking yet but I *really* can't see it happening.

There is somthing though called an acquire only licence, my understanding is you can buy motors but you can't store them. Anything you don't fly on the day you have to give back to the vendors. Not sure of all the details and it means you're restricted to BP when you can't get to an on-site vendor, all a pain but its a way in if you can't get a store. Not sure if it helps with your council problem.

I've been hearing snippets about changing the regs, mainly putting the cost up I think. Not sure of all the details, might be worth asking the guys at UTR how it affects us.

Hahaha you guys are all lucky! Dan, you've gotta convince a council, peice of cake! I've gotta convince my mum!!! :eek:

So as it stands at the moment, I'm not moving up until "I have my own house and can do what I want with it"... :mad:

Maybe I can convince her Hybrids are better. Do they requier any liscences/registrations?

Phil

Yeah - hadn't thought of it from your angle, guys. The beurocrats in county hall are going to be a pushover, compared with parents. :eek:

I have 'Acquire only' in the back of my mind, as a fall-back position. I could always get somebody with a reg'd explosives store to look after my motors, if push came to shove.

It would be sooooo cool to be able to fly 'proper' motors. I'm a great fan of Art Applewhite stuff, and to fly some of his 29mm gear would rock! As would a 38mm Big Bertha upscale! :cool: ;)

Im in the process of getting my licences together.I have the first part which in my area is from the Trading standards.This registration is for MIXED EXPLOSIVES and is quite separate from fireworks.

Lol Dan! I dont suppose you were thinking of keeping them in Damage...'s store? :p

When dealing with my council for permission to fly off their land, we (me&my dad) sent them a very polite letter explaining what we want to do, how we do it and asking permission. I suppose the same sort of thing would be applicable to your situation aswell.

I just asked, and my mum wont even let me keep them if they are stored in an explosives dump at the bottom of the garden! :eek:

Phil

Originally posted by WiK
Lol Dan! I dont suppose you were thinking of keeping them in Damage...'s store? :p
LOL - that would be handy. :D

Nah - It could be anybody's store, just as long as their registered. Theres a guy in my Amature dramatics group who stores pyros, it shouldn't be too hard to get rocket motors put on his cert. 'Acquire Only' is a last resort; I'm hoping that the council will understand when I get round to applying.

To be honest, I think over here we got off quite lightly on the paperwork and regulations, compared to all the LEUPs and stuff that I've been hearing about.

Quote - "Lol Dan! I dont suppose you were thinking of keeping them in Damage...'s store?"

Good idea Wik!

Only just seen the thread, but, sure Cydermaster, you can use my store!

Not sure about giving you the key to the garage though, as all my HPR rockets are in there, plus all the new development kits are in there, plus my ideas for discarding boosters (must start an ideas thread on that)... I'd probably never get you outta there ;)

I'm also upgrading my licence (but that's another story) so I will mention you when I get my visit from the Police Liasion Officer as a good guy and reasoably sane etc. (cheque IS in the post right?)

I'll call in for that printer cartrige you got for me, and we'll talk...

BTW - anyone need ANY stationary/office supplies give Cydermaster a call, HIGHLY recommend their service and stock, beats the heck out of OfficeWorld!

Damage...

Cheers for the advert, Damage. :D LOL :D

If you could put in a good word, for me, with the Old Bill; I'd be greatful. I'll just have to remember to take down the "Thatcher on the Gallows" & "Freak Brothers/Fat Freddy, Stoned Agin!" posters; when he comes round! ;)

LOL!!! :D

If he sees those, he'll imidiatley (sp?) think "Maniac... I'm in an insane maniac's house" :p

What do you mean by "upgrading" ?? :confused:

I have all my licences and have had for 18 months or so. I find just one problem - whilst I can acquire, keep and transport, there seems to be a bit of a crisis in the posting of motors.
It seems the only way of getting them is to attend a launch where they are being sold, and I haven't yet managed to do that!!!! WHat we also need is a decent carrier service!!

Wik wrote: What do you mean by "upgrading" ??

Have asked to transport/store black powder for ejection/pyro charges, needs further paperwork :(

Yeah with you on the carrier service - who do the dealers use? I mean, THEY have to get the motors from somewhere right? Although I seem to remember Pete Davy picks his up from Heathrow in person.

Imagine that... a van filled with AP motors (Homer drool...)

Damage...

So is the black powder not included in the usualy licences? Is it just a matter of putting the black powder UN number on or is a completley different licence?

They put AP motors on a plane?!?! :eek: I would have thought they would put them on a ship...

Maybe you could suggest personal home delivery to whatever place your ordering from :p

Just a little update,
I phoned the explosives department for my local area a couple of day ago to ask about age limits. They man I spoke to seemed nice spent a couple of minutes looking then offered to call back.

When he did call back I pressed the wrong button on my phone and sent him to my voicemail! He left a message saying they couldn't decide whether it was 16 or 17 and I should call back next Wednesday to speak to someone else.

Looks hopeful either way, now I need to convince the parents.

Minimum age for a "license to acquire and keep" is 16. Minimum age for a "license to acquire only" - there isn't one ;)

However, the minimum age to actually purchase a motor, is either 16 or 18, so you will need someone to do the buying for you.

I'd forgotten where this thread was...

Mike, to answer your original question...
U R right, you do have to add the UN number for black powder, but our Constabulary wanted to know why, what for, etc - so it was almost like going through the process again.

BTW, anyone know the UN numbers for the Congreve propellant? I understand they are different? Better get them added to my, just in case...

Hey, I've just heard about some "C" long burn motors - but they're 15mm - I'm getting some brought to the SERFs meet next weekend...

Happy Easter people!

Damage...

Originally posted by Damage...
Hey, I've just heard about some "C" long burn motors - but they're 15mm - I'm getting some brought to the SERFs meet next weekend...

Sounds good, all being well I'll be at the first meeting so I should see you there. My VMX will be taking it's maiden flight too!

Quite a few people seem pretty excited about the Congreve stuff, I've got a feeling I heard something about their UN numbers on UTR a while back but didn't pay that much attention.

Have a good Easter

Originally posted by Damage...

"C" Long burn? Held 1000? They're great!

Browsing around and found this thread again...

I did phone back the explosives department over Easter to speak to another officer. If I remember right (that'll be the day!) he said 14 for acquire only, 17 for acquire and keep. Goes to show how it can change between areas.

I doubt I'll have time this season to apply but at the end of the season I'll look again ready for next year, hopefully Congreve's will be on the scene by then so at least I'll be able to get mid-power motors!

Originally posted by Mike
Browsing around and found this thread again...

I did phone back the explosives department over Easter to speak to another officer. If I remember right (that'll be the day!) he said 14 for acquire only, 17 for acquire and keep. Goes to show how it can change between areas.

Well, either you remembered wrong, or he was making it up!

I've been assured, by our local officer (who is a stickler for the rules) that it's 16 for acquire & keep and keep, no minimum age for acquire only.

Back