Brick

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian

Reaction score
Right. Let's have some fun. :D

Guess what happens when this thing is given a D12-3?

5511brick2_small.jpg

Pretty much. :) There's a theory that pretty well any flat rocket will be stable due to base drag. I decided to push it. The rocket flew straight enough, just not very far!

Interesting smoke pattern around the edges of the vehicle due to ludicrous turbulence...

5521brick_sky1_small.jpg

There used to be a HP kit manufacturer called Microbrick in the early 90's. I bought a couple of their kits... which didn't fly like a brick. ;)

Are you going to upscale this experiment to a cement block? :rolleyes:

-John

Did it "hang in the sky, just the way brinks don't" ?

sorry, couldn't help myself. ^_^

It didn't exactly hang in the air, but it did rotate on the way down in much the same way that bricks don't. :)

It won't be upscaled. For what I have in mind, size is not as important as proportions - it measures 3cm x 12cm x 27cm. And at the time of the test flight it was exactly the wrong colour; this is in the process of being corrected. :dark:

I went the other way with my Brick.
Wanting it to be as close to a scale "brick" as I could for an "Unscale competition, while still being able to fly fairly well. Sorta looks like a brick....

Attachments

• 117c4-sm_The Brick 3 Pic Flight_02-92.jpg
    117c4-sm_The Brick 3 Pic Flight_02-92.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
I noticed that the dimensions (3cm x 12cm x 27cm) are in the ratio of 1:4:9 or the the square of the first three dimensions, i.e., 1 squared, 2 squared, 3 squared. These is the same combination of dimensions for the monolith in Arthur Clarke's sci-fi book "2001: A Space Odyssey". Is this a coincidence?

No coincidence. :) That is what I meant when I said that it was exactly the wrong colour during the test flight. It's also why I said that size is not as important as proportions, since there were various sizes of monoliths at different times throughout the series.

I assume this was made from styrofoam?
No, corrugated cardboard, mostly. The 27cm x 12cm main plates are cardboard, as are spacers running from each corner to near the centre. The motor mount is BT-50 equivalent, supported by the spacers. A 3cm piece of drinking straw serves as the launch lug. With all these in place, the rest of the sides were made from thick paper, and a layer of thick paper also covers each of the main plates.

Update: formerly the Brick, now the Monolith is the correct colour. :dark:

059monolith_small.jpg

061monolith_sky1_small.jpg

ahhh yes Microbrick I do seem to remember it. Uhh yes now I know why I was a part of the company.

I designed most of the high power kits and the rocket electronics for Mike.

those were the days ...

Cheers
John ...:neener:

There used to be a HP kit manufacturer called Microbrick in the early 90's. I bought a couple of their kits... which didn't fly like a brick. ;)

Are you going to upscale this experiment to a cement block? :rolleyes:

-John

ahhh yes Microbrick I do seem to remember it. Uhh yes now I know why I was a part of the company.

those were the days ...

Cheers

I hadn't heard of microbrick, John. Care to post a mini-history in the watering hole?
Best wishes,
Will

Hi Will:

Been a crazy week at work. But next week I be glad to do that. I might even have a catalog I could scan if folks here are interested in seeing it.

Cheers
John ..
I hadn't heard of microbrick, John. Care to post a mini-history in the watering hole?
Best wishes,
Will

those were the days ...

Cheers

Anyone know what Mike is up to these days? (I've *still* got some reloads he sold me back at NARAM 33!)

Gives life to the phrase my father used to use:

"Given enough horsepower, even a brick will fly"

G.D.

Back