Breakaway 2.6" upscale build: The Castaway

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
Two things happened recently. One, my 3 year old daughter and I built an Odd'l Breakaway rocket and had lots of fun chasing it around the park. Two, a club member was getting out of the hobby and giving away bits and pieces. I picked up what may have originally been a LOC Graduator but is now significantly shorter.

The natural confluence of these events is an upscale Breakaway, which I call the Castaway on account of its history as it is written (Ecc 3:5): "a time to cast away rockets, and a time to recover rockets." The airframe's condition means that if breakaway recovery fails to "dramatically reduce the vertical descent rate," my emotional investment in the experiment is lower than with a completely new build.

Our first step tonight is to square up the top of the fin can. Leah took quite the interest in the hacksaw and sandpaper!

Ari.

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

BTW, the C-size Breakaway came from JonRocket.com. Roger Smith's YouBee is an inspiration for the upscale. Roger owns JonRocket.

The receipt for the Breakaway came with Bracha's neat handwritten שלום on it :=)

Ari.

Actually, Bracha owns JonRocket.com. I just help where I can.

I'm looking forward to following your progress. This thread might even get Bracha interested in visiting TRF!

-- Roger

Thank you for your encouragement Roger. While I have you here, maybe you know. On first launch of the Breakaway, we lost the nosecone and the first fuselage section. I confidently pulled out my box of spares, sat Leah on my knee and cut a section of 24mm tube. Then I discovered that the rocket is wider than 24mm--the couples are 24mm tubes and the fuselage is wider. So my spare nosecone wouldn't fit, my new BT section wouldn't fit, etc. I ended up putting a 24mm nosecone into the top-most coupler--you can see in the launch photo that the top (red) section is missing. I wonder where I can get a replacement 26mm (?) nosecone and body tube.

Ari.

Thank you for your encouragement Roger. While I have you here, maybe you know. On first launch of the Breakaway, we lost the nosecone and the first fuselage section. I confidently pulled out my box of spares, sat Leah on my knee and cut a section of 24mm tube. Then I discovered that the rocket is wider than 24mm--the couples are 24mm tubes and the fuselage is wider. So my spare nosecone wouldn't fit, my new BT section wouldn't fit, etc. I ended up putting a 24mm nosecone into the top-most coupler--you can see in the launch photo that the top (red) section is missing. I wonder where I can get a replacement 26mm (?) nosecone and body tube.

Chris, of Odd'l Rockets, generally uses body tubes that aren't the same size as standard Estes tubes. This is because the tubes are a little thicker and stronger than the Estes-type tubes. I'm not sure which tube and nose cone the Breakaway uses.

I'm sure Chris would have offered to help, but I have a Breakaway kit that is missing the fins (since I used them to help design my upscale), so I'll send you a replacement tube and nose cone.

-- Roger

This is very generous of you Roger! Have Bracha watch this space for Leah's gratitude when she finds out!

I need to buy 2.6" tube and couplers for this project, and I'd love to get some from you, but I only see the thin Estes tubes on jonrocket.com. Do you guys carry the thicker LOC-type tubes?

Ari.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness!! Your little girl is adorable!!! It's great to see a rocketeer sharing his hobby with his daughter. My daughter turned 32 this year and I really wish I had introduced her to rocketry when she was young. Good for you!!!

This is very generous of you Roger! Have Bracha watch this space for Leah's gratitude when she finds out!

Will do. :)

I need to buy 2.6" tube and couplers for this project, and I'd love to get some from you, but I only see the thin Estes tubes on jonrocket.com. Do you guys carry the thicker LOC-type tubes?

No, we currently sell only the Estes-style of tubes. The LOC tubes are available from several vendors. I had to buy some to rebuild the "YouBee," but I don't recall where I purchased them.

-- Roger

We have the tubes on order. Today we're working on the nosecone.

Ari.

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

Thank you for the Breakaway kit and the body tube Roger! JonRocket stickers are especially big hit with Leah, and she applies both of them to the nosecone.

[video=youtube;AEreQt8Mgp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEreQt8Mgp8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

There's a place a couple of miles form my house where you can use all kinds of woodworking tools for $80/month: https://sawdustshop.com. Today Leah and I go there to cut the body tube there into 5.5" sections. This is Leah's second visit there. First time around we use their laser cutter to make cardboard centering rings for a paper-cup oddroc. I go there alone, I spend hours there. Today, we're out in under 7 minutes. I'm teaching Leah about building things. She's teaching me about focus :=)

Ari.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

We paint BT sections using paper cups as stands. The finish comes out short of my expectations, but Leah says (I wonder if she's simply trying to please me), "Well, like them that way." So I leave the finish alone.

IMG_1484.jpg

We test-fit a couple to each section.

IMG_1504.jpg

And now we can mock up the entire rocket.

IMG_1506.jpg

We make attachment points for the shock cord by cutting up some old C motors.

IMG_1517.jpg

We sand flat spots into the empty cores to aid adhesion.

IMG_1532.jpg

Surprisingly for me, Leah likes sanding more than any of the other jobs on this build.

Ari.

We use JB Weld to attach the cores inside couplers. I wonder about adding a second set of shock cord attachment points diametrically opposite these one and running a second shock cord for redundancy--and for a straighter pull at ejection.

Ari.

IMG_1544.jpg

The separation works reliably when I test it in my living room by holding the rocket horizontally by the nosecone and thrusting the whole thing forward and then yanking the nosecone back.

But when I show the Castaway at the club meeting today, the single-handed "deployment" fails. I ask a club member to help, and between his yanking on the fincan and my yanking on the nosecone, 3 of the 5 shock cord attachment points fail. I recall similar failures with the C-size Breakaway. As with the smaller rocket, I need to reinforce these attachment points.

Embarrassing as it is at a club meeting, I'm happy that this failure occurs on the ground rather than in flight.

Ari.

IMG_1551.jpg

Successful maiden today on F27 SU motor. Beautiful deployment and safe recovery.

[video=youtube;tSopdubYFOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSopdubYFOs[/video]

Don't know how well you can see the "wacky wiggler" action in the video--it does exactly what the original does, and recovers flat with no parachute and no damage. No baffles, no wadding, no prep. I like it!

Ari.

I should add that after the attachment-point failures, and before today's flight, I add a second Kevlar line, a second set of attachment points and larger fillets. The shock cord is fully redundant through the length of the rocket.

Ari.

DSC01761.jpg

Castaway, on its third flight at October Skies on a CTI G80 skid. Photos courtesy of Martin Hall. Sadly, no photos of the down part.

NOR8705-M.jpg
NOR8706-M.jpg

Ari.

Nice build and flights. What's the oscilliscope for? You into advanced electronics?

Onboard video from today's flight, includes view of breakaway deployment.

[video=youtube_share;9v0hCGN5hk8]https://youtu.be/9v0hCGN5hk8[/video]

00000002_.jpg

00000031_.jpg

00000121_.jpg

00000198_.jpg

00000272_.jpg

Another flight today, this time at Moffett. Concrete is hard on paper and paint.

This is the first time I'm noticing it--apparently, in the apogee shot, you can see the part of the ejection charge going out through the nozzle.

Note F-18 and Moffett control tower in last shot.

Ari.

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2477+.jpg

IMG_2479_crop.JPG

Packing to go to Snow Ranch yesterday.

Ari.

IMG_2796.JPG

Thank you Jim (qquake2k) for excellent video and stills from SARG yesterday!

The motor is G106, a 29mm sparky.

Ari.

[video=youtube;5Zv1DSTPFjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zv1DSTPFjw[/video]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great photo of the break apart recovery system. You have proven it works on mid/ high power. How long are your couplers?

I have about 1.5"of coupler sticking out of each section except the fin can, which has about 2" sticking out.

Ari.

Night launch on H123SK at TCC Dairy Aire. Same motor as in the previous post, but 4 grains instead of 3. Thank you Jack G. for lending me the case!

No photos of recovery, but what we did is tie 4 glow sticks between the sections. Worked out pretty well. The winds were quite strong and the rocket landed about 3/4 mile downwind but we had an easy time finding it.

Ari.

IMG_3678.JPG

This rocket is a year old now. Here's a flight from earlier today, including a recovery sequence (click for larger versions).

Ari.

Back