Breakable Shock Cords

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.J.Bones

Reaction score
A thought experiment. Asking for comments.

Trees, poles, things like that, can attract rockets, making them difficult to recover.

But, what if we had some type of remote control that could be used to break the shock cord. This might free the rocket, although you would still lose the parachute. It would have to be something small enough so as to not add appreciable weight to the rocket. It would need be activated by only a short range line-of-sight transmitter/receiver. Short range might actually be beneficial to prevent accidental activation during flight.

Do you think something like this would be feasible? Beneficial in a cost/benefit sort of way? Dangerous -- could a system like this be used to recover a rocket dangling from a power line?

Thoughts anyone?

I could see it being situationally helpful. Unfortunately detaching the shock cord is not always going to make the rocket fall, depending on the tree. It would definitely be helpful for power line snags at least.

The main problem is that you're introducing a new failure mode where this hypothetical device activates accidentally and causes something to fall out of the sky unimpeded.

I think it's more worthwhile to spend the time and effort gaining experience to minimize the risk of losing a rocket getting stuck somewhere; "flying-the-field", as they say. Of course, that's not 100% foolproof, but there are ways of recovering rockets still (poles, drones,.....chainsaws 😈)

And yes, as mentioned already, a break-away shock cord does not guarantee you'll recover the body of the rocket, it might just get stuck again in a slightly lower branch.

Last edited:
I’d start with the cost benefit.

Been flying for a lot of years, yet to hang up on a power line. Had a rocket land in a tree, but it was a heli recovery.

Seems like given it is a relatively rare event, not worth it. Also, from the few account I HAVE read about rockets in power lines, the power companies have been extremely cooperative at fairly promptly sending out a truck to get the rocket off safely, at no charge. Now, if you fly right next to a bunch of power lines and frequently are getting rockets stuck, first, you’re an idjit, second the power company may not be so kind.

Flying the field is of course the best practice. But, Murphy's Law is a very powerful force in the universe. Actually, when invoking Murphy's Law, having a breakable shock cord to ease the recovery of the tangled rocket may in itself reduce the likelihood of having the rocket entangled.

Thank you for the link to the water rocket site. That does basically address what I was asking about. I am always impressed with what that side of the hobby develops.

Back