BRB USB Interface

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by shonc182, Nov 17, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2019 #1

shonc182

shonc182

shonc182

I ordered and received a BRB 2m HP transmitter....unfortunately, I did not realize I needed the USB interface to configure the unit - so I didn't order one. I will likely reach out to them on Monday and get it coming, but that's a couple days from Monday before I see it, at least.

I'm hoping there is a quick workaround I can get going so I can play with my new toy. I have many electronic bits and pieces and can solder decently. Additional parts are likely available locally.

Does anybody have any experience rigging something together? Pretty sure its not as simple as splitting open a USB cable and matching it up to the TX/RX pins on the transmitter. I'm also not inclined to spend a day to save two.

The documentation lists the pins for the ICSP Connector on the xmitter as:
    (looking down from above)
    Pin 1: TTL level transmit data out (ICSP_DCLK)
    Pin 2: TTL level receive data in (ICSP_DATA)
    1 2 3
    1 2 3 4 5

2. Nov 19, 2019 #2

John Kemker

John Kemker

John Kemker

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

You need a USB-to-serial converter, most likely either an FTDI or Prolific chipset device. My BRB USB interface uses the "Future Technology Devices International" (FTDI) chipset. The converter interfaces the TTL port on the BRB device to the USB port on the host computer.

3. Nov 20, 2019 #3

HyperSonic

HyperSonic

HyperSonic

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I did the same thing you did, forgot to order the interface cable. I just waited for it to arrive from BRB. I to was anxious to play with it right away and thought about making my own. I think only the send and receive pins 1 and 2 are used, and i'm sure one could make his own, but then I wasn't sure on the USB end so I decided to just wait instead. Didn't want to make a mistake and screw something up. Keep in mind you can control the output power. It's all in the docs online at BRB. He will answer any questions you might have. Remember to get the programming software running first, then boot up the unit, then plug in the USB. I used my laptop PC running windows 10.

4. Nov 21, 2019 #4

shonc182

shonc182

shonc182

Update -- I got to the same point John pointed me to....but before I started the deep search to look at a setup I had for an old Radio Shack scanner (maybe), I ordered the part from BRB. That was Monday morning. This afternoon (Weds), it was in my mailbox.

The unit has been performing well in my living room for the last hour or so.