brands of MMT adapters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
Okay, I've got a 54mm kit that I need to drop down to a 38mm for my L1 cert. What brands of adapter have you used, and what do you recommend?

WW

I've used the LOC 54mm/38mm adapter. it works fine, the usual good quality stuff.

also I made my own adapter out of a piece of 54mm coupler and a couple heavy cardboard tubes from the plastic bag rolls in the Safeway grocery section. those tubes are 1.5" ID, 38mm exactly! one tube went inside, the other was cut in to 2x 4" lengths then cut in half lengthwise. the halves glued around the intact tube and fit snugly in to the 54mm coupler. total cost $0 (well perhaps $0.24 for the epoxy).

I have the PML 54/38HD adapter. I went with this one (over the standard PML 54/38 adapter) because it's longer--14" total length--so it's good for those loooong motor casings. To use it in my BSD Thor (which has LOC-style paper tubes) though, I had to sand down the 54mm tube to fit comfortably. And it's built like a tank...

For my bsd thor I purchased the 54mm Aeropack motor retainer system and the 38mm adapter tube that simply slides up into the motor tube. The most fail safe way I've found. No risk of the adapter coming apart and sending the motor casing through the rocket.

Giant Leap has several adapters, including their spiffy but expensive Slimline and an affordable, all phenolic adapter. The 38-29 version of the latter is my 'standard' adapter.

Originally posted by wwattles
Okay, I've got a 54mm kit that I need to drop down to a 38mm for my L1 cert. What brands of adapter have you used, and what do you recommend?

WW

USR (https://www.usrockets.com) does sell motor mount conversions from 54mm to 38mm, 54mm to 29mm, 54mm to 3x24mm, etc.

However they fit the USR brand tube 2.17ID and not the LOC 2.15ID.

Generally it is best to buy your conversion from the same company who sold/made you your kit.

Jerry

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
Generally it is best to buy your conversion from the same company who sold/made you your kit.

Jerry

Kinda hard to do in my case, since the kit is a LOC Minie Magg, but the MMT's are custom made by my local vendor (we wanted to go with more variety in what I put in it) so we went with a 54mm mount, vice the stock 38mm. He also custom cut the fins so they'd mate up properly with the new MMT.

So basically, I need something with the largest range of applications possible.

WW

Not quite on topic but I saw a Minnie Magg fly on a 54mm CTI J210 and that was a very cool flight. I immediately wished I had built mine 54mm.

I have a LOC 54mm to 38mm that on apearance works great. I have not road tested it yet. I had to think about the Aeropack retainer a bit when building it but it will do fine. It seems quite solid, yet light.

I guess the design does somewhat depend on your motor retention choice.

Too bad there isn't a 54mm I motor out there for you. :D

Len Bryan (Certified CAR L1,L2 and L3) on a Minnie Magg)

Back