Brain in a dish flies airplane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really cool!

I can see robots in the future with that. Even computers with it as the CPU!

Thanks for sharing it Ozymandias!

Originally posted by Ozymandias
This is really cool. Read it!
https://www.napa.ufl.edu/2004news/braindish.htm

“There’s a lot of data out there that will tell you that the computation that’s going on here isn’t based on just one neuron. The computational property is actually an emergent property of hundreds or thousands of neurons cooperating to produce the amazing processing power of the brain.”

The fault, Dear Brutus, lies not within our brains but within our technology

If he had the technology to test single neurons in 60 places fast enough to pick up how they calculate (and they most certainly do), then he wouldn't have said that. Within every neuron is a network that handles tens of hundreds of thousands of connections. Not only do we not have the technology to test this adequately, we don't have the computational power necessary to simulate such a network operating.

Stone knifes and bear skins.

The pilot job market is bad enough without this guy helping, thank you very much!

So long as they don't find a way to replace performance engineers or flight dispatchers.;)

Amazing! But think of the possible negative ramifications if, for example, an F-22 with a neural-network-controlled "brain" suddenly discovered latent instinctive behaviour buried in the neural constructs of the organic prototype upon which it was based. Next thing you know, the U.S.A.F.'s best hardware all starts to behave like pigeons, begging for bread scraps from little old ladies and leaving statues soiled with their exhaust. Not to mention the mess they'd make if they started to have a go at mating.

i wouldn't trust my own brain, less a half baked rat brain to fly a jet

Originally posted by vjp
Amazing! But think of the possible negative ramifications if, for example, an F-22 with a neural-network-controlled "brain" suddenly discovered latent instinctive behaviour buried in the neural constructs of the organic prototype upon which it was based. Next thing you know, the U.S.A.F.'s best hardware all starts to behave like pigeons, begging for bread scraps from little old ladies and leaving statues soiled with their exhaust. Not to mention the mess they'd make if they started to have a go at mating.

F-22's mating...

"Whats that smell?'

"You expect me to clean up that!!??"

Eeeeuuuuwwww!

Here is a thought...

This is another step to Babylon 5 "Shadow" vessels...

I'm just waiting for the brain to become omnipotent and get a white-faced guy wearing a hooded cloak to carry it around in its little dish.

:)

Or put a pair of wax lips on the outside of the jar, like in "The Man With Two Brains".

Just as long as they don't teach it to drive and turn it loose in traffic!

This thread reminds me of one of the best sci-fi classics of all time... Who's got the popcorn?
donovans-brain-2.jpg

Karl - we should worry only if Spirit or Opportunity find something half-buried in the Martian soil... something blacker than night....

Ray - we should only worry if the white-faced guy starts hanging around with an egomaniacal woman and a Planet of The Apes drop-out. On second thought, we'd still have nothing to worry about. Uh-oh-- MOVIE SIGN!!!!....

Originally posted by graylensman
Karl - we should worry only if Spirit or Opportunity find something half-buried in the Martian soil... something blacker than night....

I agree...But if "something blacker than night" is found on Mars let's make sure some durn fools does not touch it...

Back