Brain Freeze on Sampling Port Sizing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I want to do- four (4) sampling port holes for an 8" dia electronics bay which is 13.5" long. I tried to use the calculator referred to below, but it isn't making any sense to me:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/vent-hole-size-calculator-spreadsheet.42898/
Also tried using the rocketrycalculator.com Altimeter Vent Port Sizing, but "number of quarters per hole" of 1.3 makes no sense to me either.

What diameter should the four sampling port holes be? Sorry for the brain freeze!

IMG_5894_1.jpg

4 at 5/16ths in. dia is what it comes out to. To be exactly right on you need 21/64ths. and a 64th of an inch ain't going to make any difference!!

Here's what I want to do- four (4) sampling port holes for an 8" dia electronics bay which is 13.5" long. I tried to use the calculator referred to below, but it isn't making any sense to me:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/vent-hole-size-calculator-spreadsheet.42898/
Also tried using the rocketrycalculator.com Altimeter Vent Port Sizing, but "number of quarters per hole" of 1.3 makes no sense to me either.

What diameter should the four sampling port holes be? Sorry for the brain freeze!

View attachment 500475

You arrived at the correct total area needed just had to divide by 4. .3125 (5/16ths) x4 = 1.25
.3281(21/64ths) x4 = 1.3 No need to be sorry at 66 I get my share of brain freeze and farts.

Thanks for bringing this up was unaware of the rocketry calculator. Nice and easy, I did it the hard way, using the math. The rocketry calculator is right, and now book marked here!!

Last edited:
You arrived at the correct total area needed just had to divide by 4. .3125 (5/16ths) x4 = 1.25
.3281(21/64ths) x4 = 1.3 No need to be sorry at 66 I get my share of brain freeze and farts.

Thanks for bringing this up was unaware of the rocketry calculator. Nice and easy, I did it the hard way, using the math. The rocketry calculator is right, and now book marked here!!
Age 68 for me, and now taking an epilepsy anti-seizure med, so the grey matter computer isn't working quite as well as it was 40 years ago.:D

Back