Braided fishing line for chute shroud lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever used braided fishing line for parachute cords? I have lots of line and was womfering.
I can't say there is any reason it wouldn't work, assuming the strength is appropriate for the size parachute. Some types of string require different knots than other types of string.
I've rebuilt some Estes plastic parachutes with what I think is thin nylon string, you can see it in the first photograph in the thread below. The stock Estes strings were thinner, apparently not very strong. When I looked at my new strong I thought it looked like nylon and I wondered about heat resistance. Of course the parachute is plastic so the strings are probably more resistant to heat than the parachute is, and I've been using fairly effective wadding.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/plastic-parachute-reinforcing.175877/

I'll have to do some experimenting myself. Thanks for posting the question... the way the stock Estes cords just seem to permanently twist themselves is annoying.

The shear strength of the 40 lb test braided fishing line on my surf rods has tempted me, but, based on my experience when fishing I decided no because:

Braid is abrasive – it will cut grooves in old rod guides and bales not designed for braid. It will even cut your skin if grabbed under pressure. This causes me to believe it can cut the parachute attachment.

Braid is limp – which enables “wind knots”, a real nuisance. I believe this occurs during that brief time after casting when there is no tension on the line.

Finally, braided fishing line is not heat resistant.

Good points. On the abrasiveness of the braid ripping the chute, my plan is to punch out (a simple hole punch tool) two 1/8 inch or so circles out of duct tape. The circles would be attached on both sides of the material (six connection points) and I would then use a sewing needle to push the braid through them (one on each side) before tying in my knot.

Good points. On the abrasiveness of the braid ripping the chute, my plan is to punch out (a simple hole punch tool) two 1/8 inch or so circles out of duct tape. The circles would be attached on both sides of the material (six connection points) and I would then use a sewing needle to push the braid through them (one on each side) before tying in my knot.
Have you seen this thread? It contains a couple of examples of reinforcing plastic parachutes.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/plastic-parachute-reinforcing.175877/#post-2347448

Back