BP Motor Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewrt

26 hour/day parent
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How do you store your black powder motors? To be more specific Estes motors, that is all I have right now but maybe this applies to other types and brands as well. I have many packs of motors of various sizes in the typical Estes hanger pack. Leaving them in the factory packaging is bulky in a range box and I hate dealing with the it in the field. Is there anything magical about leaving the motors in the packaging I should know about? I want to open the packs up and sort the motors into labeled bins in my box for easy use and inventory. I already have a few loose motors from previous launch days and separate tins that I store igniters and igniter plugs.

For 18mm BP motors (and even for 24mm motors) nothing beats a Plano 2-3730 Prolatch box.

I keep the igniters in a separate small container and the plugs in another. I've even seen someone else use one of those weekly pill reminder boxes to sort plugs, which I thought was a nice idea that I ought to adopt.IMG_3026.jpg

I have been using small ziplock baggies to put individual motors in, with an igniter and plug in the bag so you just grab it and go. It isn't as neat as using something like BEC is using though. Box-wise, I've been struggling using a typical tackle box. The issue is that while I can get enough motors in the various compartments, the box tends to be top heavy, and there isn't very much room in the bottom for various other supplies like extra engines, spare parachutes, some scissors and small tools, etc.

I haven't seen anything in the local stores yet that does it for me, so I'm still looking for something better.

I've also used a couple of these when I don't want to take several of the Plano boxes to a launch....it is pretty flexible and not expensive: https://www.harborfreight.com/abs-storage-organizer-95807.html. It's deep enough that you can probably stand Q-jets up the way I have the Estes/Quest motors stood up in the picture I posted before, at least in some of the compartments. That would suggest that 24mm SU Aerotech motors might also be able to be carried in it that way, in the compartments away from the latches or the handle at least.

I store my motors in the basement inside ammo boxes and large Tupperware containers. I also have some small plastic ammo containers. That Plano box in post #2 looks like it would be an excellent "day box" for use on the field.

Ok thank you for the replies. Looks like I'm not too far out in left field. I am using a similar method as @BEC and @Handeman. I'll sort sizes by 1/2A to A (front left), B to C (front center), C11 to D (front right, currently empty). I still need to label everything. This is part of my range box setup. Link to range box thread in ground support forum here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/all-in-one-range-box.160522/

@Alan15578 I too was using an ammo box to haul my stuff around but for my situation quickly found out it wasn't going to cut it. Still use it to store extra packs of motors.

IMG_20200711_150837.jpg

Back