Boys & Girls club again :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm back at it (a bit) with the B&GC. They got some funding and invited me back to do a 2 week rocketry program. This is tight as we have to build in one session and launch in the next.

We did the Thing-a-ma-Jig and had a 3 hour session. This worked out well as we got the engine mount and fin unit done early in the class then did a 1 hour lecture as we waited for those parts to dry.

The kids had a ball and I am hoping for reasonably warm weather next Friday... :)

Been busy as all git out lately. about 8 weeks ago I was asked to help out at our high school doing para-teaching with the Success In School program (kids with learning difficulties) and have been pulling full time (37 hours/week) with that group since. It's been an incredible experience but is keeping me from getting new products out the door! man... :)

Here are some pix from our build. I'll post a photo album when I get a chance (in my free time LOL)

jim

DSC00177.JPG

DSC00180.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

Can I come to this boys and girls club and build with you Jim? :wink:

This is really cool, i'm glad these kids are interested.

-Braden

It was actually kinda funny. They've all but canceled all of my programs due to funding problem but brought me back this month for a quick 2 week session. They normally run 7 week programs. Now they're running 1 month programs and December is dicey (time wise) due to the holidays.

In the days leading up to the class (a beginner class in rocketry) I got emails from no less than THREE of my kids who were either in my ADVANCED rocketry class or slated to begin the advanced program. They wanted to know if they would be allowed in the class seeing as it was billed as a beginner class.

I said "sure" so long as they understood that we were building the Thing-a-ma-Jig, a rocket they had already built and that was super easy.

The response I got was "I don't care so long as we build rockets!" :)

now, THAT was a feel good!

I always enjoy reading your posts where you teach kids about rocketry. You are a great ambassador for our hobby.

Thank you. It's a big part of why I got into this business. What's really wild is when I work in the High School and am always bumping into my kids from YEARS ago.

We had our launch last week and I hope to get the album up this weekend so keep watch!

Here they all are, ready to go!

DSC00185sm.jpg

That's great, Jim. Loved hearing about the advanced class members. :)

Got the photo album uploaded! You can see it by clicking this link/

Everyone had a great day of launching (well, about 45min of launching as that was all the daylight we had LOL). One of the kids lost their rocket over the school. Several days later another kid saw it outside the window of his classroom and got a hold of me and we were able to get it back.

Here's hoping they call me back for next month too :)

AH HA!

I just learned today that the B&GC will be brining me back in January (and it looks like the rest of the year too)!

January will be a beginner class again. This session will be 3 weeks (3 90min sessions, one of which is the launch). Normally my rocketry programs are 7 weeks (2 weeks to build, then launch, then lecture then repeat for a 2nd kit), but they have been reduced to running month to month with 4 week programs. January's program will be 3 weeks due to a teachers workshop.

At this time we're planning TWO rocketry sessions for February (4 weeks). One beginner and one advanced. Should be fun (as if my schedule wasn't crunched enough... LOL)

Back