Boys & Girls Club activities...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, that time of year again! The beginning of the school year is always a busy time with the kids, but I just can't give it up :)

We're just finished the Litchfield program and just started the new session. The Merrimack programs finish up next week and we've already set the following session schedule.

For this past session the classes looked like this:
  • Fishing: They learn how to use the equipment (rods/reels), knot tying, baiting the hook, types of local fish and then we go after specific specis of fish each week.
  • Survivor: We break the group into 2-3 "tribes" and then hit them with challenges each week to earn points towards a win. Challenges include things like locating all 50 states and capitals on a blank US map, relay races, math puzzles and brain teasers and more. Actually quite fun :)
  • Flight Club: Each week we get together and build something that flys. Paper planes, balsa planes, paper helicopters, kites and more.
  • Pumpkin Carving: One class in Merrimack on Wed, and one in Litchfield on Thursdays. I teach the kids my technique for pumpkin carving. good stuff
  • Model Rocketry, beginner: Over 7 weeks we build and fly 2 different kits (Thing-a-ma-Jig and Over Drive)
  • Rocketry - advanced: Also 7 weeks and two rockets. Building the Morning Star and the Long OverDue.

You can find the current photo album for these sessions by clicking this link

This next session with Litchfield will feature:
  • Beginning Rocketry: A 5 week course (1 hour per class) where we are bulding the Avalear
  • Survivor: - just like the Merrimack class only 5 weeks instead of 7 weeks

The upcoming Merrimack session looks like this:
  • Magic: Teaching the kids basic slight of hand with props (sponge balls, invisible purse, etc), card tricks, coin manipulation, etc. Goal is to perform in the end-of-session family night on stage.
  • Freeze Factory: Experiments with dry ice
  • Roller Coaster design: Design and build complex roller coasters using foam pipe channels and marbles. great fun!
  • Holiday Crafts: Build two different holiday decorations (kissing balls (think mistle toe) and tree toppers) out of styrofoam shapes, beads and ribbon
  • Beginning Rocketry: Modified class where only one kit will be built. Kit not yet selected
  • Advanced Rocketry: Modified course where only one rocket will be built. Kit not yet selected
  • Plastic Models: We will build, paint and detail a plastic model. Each child will build a different model (cars, tanks, etc)

If you have an after school program in your town (and I bet you do), regardless of what organization is running it, you should really look to get involved. Nothing I have done is as satisfying as working with these kids each week. It's like potato chips...

...bet you can't teach just ONE! :)

More photo's coming as soon as I find the time to post them!
jim

We just finished up the fishing class and the survivor course. I have updated both of those albums.

The last Merrimack class for this week are the rocketry classes on Friday and we have a launch. I will have those pix posted by Sunday (after the CMASS launch on Saturday).

It's been a busy time with the school. I will be starting new albums and a thread about our 2nd session beginning next week. (we started our second Litchfield session last week).

Now I have to gather my lesson plans for the new classes...

Latest posts

Back