Boycotting Local Micheal's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I thought I'd share a brief story: Recently a new Micheal's has opened up in my town. My g/f got a call from her temp service to go help with the grand opening. So she goes in a the first thing they tell her is: "You need to take that out immediately....that is highly inappropriate!" Refering to the tiny little sixteen gauge curved barbell in her eyebrow. So she as she was demanded to do in a speedy fashion, and completed her work day.
So after she came home and told me the story, I was kind of POed but soon forgot about it. I personally thought that it was ridiculous to demand something so rudely. Not to mention that I am into body art and he'd probably say a whole lot more if it was me. In my opinion job should be based on preformance and expertise, not discriminization against people with holes in there body.
Anyways back to the story. So yesterday I said let's go to Micheal's and see if they have any rocketry stuff. She then reminded me of the story. I told her to wait in the car and went in. I asked for the manager to answer if they stock them or not and he looked at me like I shouldn't be in his store, and said that he'll go check and would be right back. After waiting an hour! With no sign of him I even trekked the store with luck I said screw it and left.
So whether or not they do or don't sell them they aren't getting my business ever. At least not that store. BTW the manager I talked to was the same one that was rude to my g/f.

Thanx for the vent,
Ed

Well Ed, I would have to say the call for your GF was well within their bounds to ask. As an employee, even a temporary one, she is representing the company she works for and should dress in a manner appropriate for the job, since they are dealing with customers all day. It is well within their rights to ask what they did there, especially when dealing with customers all day.

However, it seems this manager also has issues. Abandoning you is not the way to do business, no matter how you are dressed. As long as you have a shirt, shoes and money to spend, you are the customer and should be treated like one. Nuf Said. Keep going to Hobby Lobby, as their rocket selection is better anyway ;)

Carl

Yeah - maybe visable body piercings arn't acceptable when you're dealing with the public; but there is no need for rudeness, when asking for them to be removed. From the reception the manager gave you, it does sound like he needs an attitude transplant.

Back in the day, I had a red & green mohican; so I've experianced the predudice shown against people who try to look individual. One thing that used to really P me off was being followed by all the security guards, in a shop, and at the same time watching people stuff goods into their pockets etc, 'cos they knew the guards had their eyes on me! :mad:

Attitudes are changing, though. Theres a chap who works in the Iceland supermarket, accross the road from where I work, with a mohican; and nobody bats an eyelid at it. It does help that he is an extreemly helpful & friendly chap; with a copper-plated accent, that would put Hugh Grant to shame.

I would have to say that perhaps the "delivery" wasn't what i would call smooth on the part of the manager. He probably could have executed the store policy much better. Your having to wait over an hour just confirms that HE was sort of a jerk.
Almost all stores have some sort of dress code for thier employees which include piercing and other stuff.

And the sign said. "long haired creepy people need not apply".

So I tuked my hair up under my har and went in to ask him why.

sandman

The man inside said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, yes you'll do", so I took off my hat and said "imagine that, me working for you"

Sign sign everywhere a sign

:p :kill:

LOL! well, I wasn't going to type the whole song!

Nothing ever changes!

**** establishment won't let us just be ourselves. MAN!!!
You come up with your arbitrary rules...MAN!!!

LOL...it is to laugh!!

sandman

I'm not into body piercings, but my 17 year old daughter is. Your girl friend did the right thing in that she removed the piercing when asked. In some jobs they are not accepted along with tattoos, but like others have said the manager seems to have a problem, and to leave you( a customer) standing there waiting for an answer was unacceptable. Heck, I would make it a weekly thing to go in the store(you and your girl friend) and make your rounds then leave;) Oh, make sure if you see the manager to give him a friendly wave or hello.

Larry

I know sand, but its such a good song

This story reminded me of something a read a couple days ago, a pro baseball pitcher was made to cover his tatoos because they were distracting. I guess it happens everywhere

Originally posted by Larry
Heck, I would make it a weekly thing to go in the store(you and your girl friend) and make your rounds then leave;) Oh, make sure if you see the manager to give him a friendly wave or hello.
Good idea, Larry. :D

That would really bug him.

I'd love to seek my revenge on him, in a sense, but I'd rather be a bit more adult and just let it be. I don't need to be a vigilante forcing people to except one another. I shouldn't have to. Eventually people of the manager type will come around. (I hope.)
I bet by the time I retire that I'll be on a cruise ship playing shuffle board and non-pierced persons will be the minority, or I could just be dreaming.
On a final note I believe that piercings do not harm professionalism as long as the person is professional. I was a salesman for approximately for two years and noticed no harm done by my body art. The only thing I ever got was questions. Might I add that I did dress in a suit. I still kept in the piercings and kept the mohawk up.
I just think that it is sad to see that if you except one type of persons there's always someone else to shun.

I also am very thankful for all of you imput, all of you have made very good points. I hope to hear more from you guys.

A local grocery store chain here in Richmond has some sort of piercing policy, too... but i guess in an attempt to be understanding or employee-friendly, they don't make the kids take out their piercings, just cover them with band-aids. So you'll see a teenage boy with a band-aid on his earlobe or a girl with one over her eyebrow. It makes me laugh - how likely is it that someone has injured his/her ear?? It's more conspicuous than a small piece of metal, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Larry
Heck, I would make it a weekly thing to go in the store(you and your girl friend) and make your rounds then leave;) Oh, make sure if you see the manager to give him a friendly wave or hello.

Larry

And bring as many of your tatted an pierced friends as possible. You'll occassionally have to buy something so you don't give him an excuse to accuse you of loitering, but I think it would be worth it. Sorry - I kinda get a mean streak when it comes to intolerance...lol

sandman,

"he said, you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do. So, I took off my hat and said imagine that, huh, me working for you".

You realize most of these guys have never heard that song. You and me are so old.

Swimmer,
I know what you mean. There is so much excellent stuff that has already been done but the kids refuse to even try. Their loss.

Personally, I can barely stand *rap. It isn't music (they don't play any instruments), it isn't singing, the lyrics are horrible (they say every woman is a 'ho' and all cops should be shot), and it is performed by scum and slime that children should NOT be looking up to. The people who perform this stuff advocate all the lifestyles and activities that I oppose.

OK, I feel better now. /rant/ off

well, here's my cut at it (i gotta learn to stay away from controversial subjects, but i just *can't*... :D )

I'm not into piercings either, but then i'm not into a LOT of things. Doesn't mean that there's anything *wrong* with them. Heck, I'm not into onion soup, but my daughter is. doesn't mean I leave the room if she eats it... sheesh! :)

I can understand certain stores would have rules/requirements saying they want piercings removed or covered up for their retail floor. They are trying to appeal to a certain audience and they have the right to decide what they want that audience to see. If it is against your desires to cover or remove them, then look for another job.

*that* being said, there is a right and a wrong way to ask/implement the rule and being rude certainly isn't on the list. On another vein, and for example, I could easily see someone with a piercing or tatoo shop requiring employees to have piercings or tatoos in order to work there. You aren't into piercings or tatoos, or don't want one? not a problem, just look for another job.

works both ways, but no need for rudeness.

Now, in the case of this guy, I think there are clear indications of prejudice or phobia present. Frankly it has always amazed me how some people think (bikers and folks with body piercings must be from a "bad crowd", someone with glasses, a weird hat and a pocket protector must be a nerd... ...well, ok, we'll give 'em that last one... LOL)

My son worked in a resturaunt and was once told that he couldn't wear his earring, so he just took it out... ...i sent him back and suggested that he confront the owners. Like i said, if earrings are forbidden, then you shouldn't wear the earrings, but this rule didn't seem to extend to the *female* employees. That's gender discrimination.

well, now I seem to be rambling... fun topic though. people can be amazing.

In any event, I wouldn't bother with "revenge". It isn't worth it and never seems to come out quite right anyway. I would see if there was a way to escalate the issue. Is this a franchise? Go to the next level.

I also wouldn't bother confronting him with your displeasure. That would simply further infuriate you.

good luck
jim

To bring this thread back to the topic, I offer the following:

I'm going to visit my local Michael's MORE often now!

Why?

Because they started carrying rockets! Granted, the only kit they had was a single Estes Skywriter (Which I bought for my wife - hers lost its nose cone last launch). They had a small selection of RTF kits, but hey, it's a START! Now I have to convince them to put them in their own aisle, not just on an endcap with the kites!

WW

Originally posted by sandman
And the sign said. "long haired creepy people need not apply".

So I tuked my hair up under my har and went in to ask him why.

sandman
5 bonus points to anyone who can name that band without using Google:)

Originally posted by powderburner
Personally, I can barely stand *rap. It isn't music (they don't play any instruments), it isn't singing, the lyrics are horrible (they say every woman is a 'ho' and all cops should be shot), and it is performed by scum and slime that children should NOT be looking up to. The people who perform this stuff advocate all the lifestyles and activities that I oppose.

And dagummit, we don't need any of that rockin' and rollin' 'round here! :D

I can't stand rap either, but just like any form of music, it isn't -all- that bad. The signal/noise ratio is pretty awful, but there is some decent stuff buried in there. While it's hardly lyrical genius on par with Simon & Garfunkel, Kansas, or Rush, here's an example of a rap song that, at the very least, isn't awful.

On this day in history, or another just like it: some kid somewhere was playing rap music on their boombox, and someone else said,

"You call that rap music? I call it
crap music."

It happened on this day in history, or another just like it.

--MuchMusic filler commerical

And a boot to the head for the first person who says "Tesla"...

Was it The Doors?
[edit: Nope. ****. I never would have guessed the right answer.]

Originally posted by SwingWing
I had to cheat and Google for the answer. I've never heard of the song, or the band. Guessed the year wrong too - I'd thought it was a Woodstock-era song.

Now its been mentioned, I'm going to try and 'aquire' a mp3 of it from somewhere. ;)

Originally posted by Loopy
And a boot to the head for the first person who says "Tesla"...

Ed Gruberman, come closer, so you may learn the secrets of Tae Kwan Leep... ;)

Originally posted by SwingWing

Somebody else already answered with the Five Man Electrical Band, so I'll add that they were from Canada...and I liked them better than Anne, Celine, and Shania...but not quite as much as The Guess Who/BTO, Rush or Triumph. :)

tim

Originally posted by kenobi65
Ed Gruberman, come closer, so you may learn the secrets of Tae Kwan Leep... ;)

Boot to the head: THUNK. "Ow! I wasn't ready!"

;)

I have a tatoo on my arm that is the shadown of a cross. I wore a sleeveless shirt into work one day and a guy thought I had a Nazi Swastika. Boy did I get a look from my boss about showing that. Until I showed him the tatoo and then we agreed the old man might be a little loopy...

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
and then we agreed the old man might be a little loopy...

Edward

No, that would be me.... or actually, my kids could be called little loopy's... :D

It all comes down to the fact that people will always have perceptions on things that are different - some good, some bad. We all need to learn to accept people for who they are, and not perpetrate stereotypes on people - things are not always what they appear to be.

Loopy

Back