Boyce Gemini Titan finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmiller

Reaction score
I finally finished my Boyce Aerospace Gemini Titan. See attached photo.

Had to add some nose weight because some weight adding mods were done to strengthen this fragile kit.

In a previous post I mentioned the bland wrap color. The wraps turned out much better with a clear coat. The gray areas on the wraps are really supposed to be silver but otherwise they are good.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 130
Yikes! Are you sure you want to fly that?! It almost looks too nice to fly - it would make a nice static display. I often chicken out when it comes to flying scale kits that turn out really well. But I bet it will look great in flight. I've looked at those kits quite a bit but just can't pull the trigger on one.

Nice work, hopefully we'll get to see a flight photo.

Tony

What mods? A lot and they all added a little weight. First- the motor tubes are supposed to be paper. I thought they were overly fragile so I replaced them with
fiberglass tube from Apogee. The motor retainers are built into the nozzle bells which thread off. I removed the part of the bells that retain the motors and then glued the bells in place. I used aluminum motor retainers from Apogee for 18mm tube. Just above the motor mount unit, in the bottom of the BT-80 I glued in a 1 1/2" section of coupler tube. This is to protect the thin walled BT-80 from ejection heat. Above this I added a centering ring for a single 18mm fiberglass tube to carry the ejection gases forward. Since you already have a kit, the instructions show that the Titan separates for deployment below the cage. This was changed. The fiberglass center tube runs through the tank bulkhead and into the bottom of the upper BT-80 with a centering ring for deployment. This eliminated the removable upper stage for display. The display nozzle was also eliminated. Also while assembling the lower part I added small wooden blocks to attach the rail guides . Also the cage was reinforced with small pieces of carbon fiber plate behind the wide closed areas. They are not visible unless you really look for them. I also used JB Weld epoxy for all plastic parts. I thought that I would have trouble applying the wraps, but did not. I good ounce to nose weight was added to the inside of the capsule and service area.

After all of this, I am not sure it will fly good with two C5-3 motors. I am not sure that I want to risk trying to start two composite motors. Maybe it will end up as a display model like many others.

That's about it

Nice, very well thought out. I was hoping to be able to use a thicker wall BT-80 tube, but I haven't played with the parts yet. Was the only option a thin walled Estes tube? I always think I have a display model, then after looking at it for a period of time I decided to offer it up to the rockery gods.

I do not think that a thick walled tube would work properly. It's outside diameter will be too much for the plastic parts and the wrap may be too short. But I may be wrong. Mine may never fly. Just sit there and look pretty.

Wonderful! Can you tell us more about this kit? What is the height? Is it for dual motors" How do you keep the clear fins on?

And more pics, please! 🚀

Wonderful! Can you tell us more about this kit? What is the height? Is it for dual motors" How do you keep the clear fins on?

And more pics, please! 🚀

I'm still working on mine so I can't attest to its exact height, but probably around two feet. It's based on BT-80 tubes so it's fairly large. It does have dual motors, and the clear fins are attached to a pair of clips that attach to the motor mounts and can either be glued or temporarily secured for flight with zip ties if you want to take them off for display.

Also, no matter how nice a rocket of mine turns out, it will fly at least once. I'm just like that. For the last few years, I simply haven't been able to stay interested in building static models when I could build something that actually flies. I am concerned about the weight though and am wary of flying it on C's, so I'm planning to definitely use the Quest D16's to fly it.

Back