Boyce Aerospace New Honest John Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Has everyone seen the new BT-80 29mm 3-D printed Honest John Kit? I may be the most devoted lover of the HoJo design in the rocketry hobby--and clearly have a problem with over a dozen of them in my fleet. But this one is going to make a great edition.

It has amazing detail, and fits perfectly on an Estes BT-80 body tube. Even better, you can order just the fin can section to make it easier to build the Estes Maxi-Brute model, without having to struggle with the vacuum form fins.

https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com

They are running a November special for this new kit, only $100. Fin can only available for $50 dollars. I have no financial connection with the company, just big fans of this mom and pop rocketry shop.

Here are some details from their web site:

Our BT-80 Honest John “Builders Kit” is the easy way to build a beautiful 36.33″ tall 1/9th scale flying model of the US Army’s first unguided surface-to-surface nuclear capable rocket. Powered by a 29mm model rocket motor (no permit or certification needed) this model will turn heads at any rocket launch. Our HoJo “Builders Kit” comes with the following quality 3D printed ABS parts:

• A highly detailed two part Honest John nose cone with spin motor detail printed in all it’s glory.
  • A highly detailed 29mm fin can with diamond airfoil fins, boat tail, and motor bands.
  • MId-vehicle motor band with holes printed in.
  • Front and rear scale launch shoes.
  • Two sets of conformal launch lugs, 1/4″ rod and 1″ rail on stand offs, so you have a choice.
  • US ARMY vinyl decals.
  • Complete building instructions.
All you need to complete your model are the following parts plus paint, glue, and a little craftsmanship:

• 1 – 18″ length of BT-80 body tube.
  • 1 – 13″ length of 29mm motor tube.
  • 1 – 36″ parachute with shock cord.
Your completed model will weigh in at around 1 lb 3 oz when complete (before nose weight and recovery system) so flights with “G” motors are spectacular! Remember kits will be printed in first come first served basis. You don’t want to miss out on this offer so order yours TODAY!

We know that some of our customers just want the fin can so they can finally build and fly their Estes maxi Honest John kit without dealing with the vacu-formed fins and the whimpy performance using the original “D” motor. We can just sell you the fin can during this promotion for $50.00 + $12.00 shipping (regular retail is $65.00).

Attachments

• Boyce Aerospace HoJo Full Body.jpg
    Boyce Aerospace HoJo Full Body.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Boyce Aerospace HoJo Airfoiled Fins.jpg
    Boyce Aerospace HoJo Airfoiled Fins.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Boyce Aerospace Spin Motors.jpg
    Boyce Aerospace Spin Motors.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Maxi-HJ-Fin-Can-D.png
    Maxi-HJ-Fin-Can-D.png
    465.5 KB · Views: 176
I like the fact that the fincan be ordered separately from the kit. I have a partially built kit from almost 20 years ago when I could not figure out how to beef up the fins to my liking. Would be great to be able to finally finish it.

Tony

Mine has flown twice on an "H" motor, and once on a "G." All three flights were straight as an arrow. Heavier than it looks, especially when painted. Please let me know how yours flies.

Cool. I'll let you know when it flies. Yes, all of that plastic is pretty heavy:)

Mine has flown twice on an "H" motor, and once on a "G." All three flights were straight as an arrow. Heavier than it looks, especially when painted. Please let me know how yours flies.

Flight ready. The little brother Hercules is waiting on a bigger brother Hercules to arrive in the mail.
I have the bigger Hercules but I can't figure out where to put the rail guides. If I put them where I think they go, the top one sits slightly lower in height than the bottom.

I'll get my big Herc from UPS tomorrow and will take a look.

I do see the same issue on the smaller Hercules. The upper rod guide has about a 1/16 inch taller base to be in line with the lower one.

On the large Hercules (and I'm assuming the same on the smaller one), there are two square indentions, one on the fin can and another on the transition piece and judging by the instructions, I think that's where the rail guides go, they fit perfectly but then the top sits slightly lower than the bottom one. Maybe it's a trick of the eye and it'll fly but I don't have a piece of 1010 to test it. I tried asking Boyce but they never bothered to respond (I know they saw the message).

On the large Hercules (and I'm assuming the same on the smaller one), there are two square indentions, one on the fin can and another on the transition piece and judging by the instructions, I think that's where the rail guides go, they fit perfectly but then the top sits slightly lower than the bottom one. Maybe it's a trick of the eye and it'll fly but I don't have a piece of 1010 to test it. I tried asking Boyce but they never bothered to respond (I know they saw the message).
Here you can see the difference between the front and rear bases.

Attachments

• PXL_20220308_141216439.jpg
    PXL_20220308_141216439.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220308_141154629.jpg
    PXL_20220308_141154629.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 24
Here you can see the difference between the front and rear bases.
Yeah the upper one does seem taller than the bottom one. The rail guides provided with the larger one are identical in size. I may print new one and make one a hair taller to compensate. I wouldn’t trust 4 motor power on a rod.

Last edited:
Back