Boyce Aerospace just released 1/100 Mercury Atlas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
The Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 1/100th Scale Mercury Atlas features incredible details for flight or any hobbyist’s shelf! Our rocket is DLSA-printed at 50 microns for maximum details and little sanding. Each rocket showcases detailed vernier motors, fuel lines and corrugations. The kit includes clear plastic fins – perfect to create a realistic replica and ensure a smooth flight; up to 560’ on a 18mm Estes C6-5 motor. Once assembled, the Mercury Atlas kit measures 11.75” inches tall and weighs 3 ounces when assembled. Our Builders Kit requires a 29mm heavy walled motor tube, a BT-20 tube, engine clip, parachute and shock cords. Pair your Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 1/100th Scale Mercury Atlas with any of our 1/100th scale U.S. manned spacecraft offerings for an awesome display shelf.

Additional Parts Required:
1) 29mm heavy walled motor tube (precut to 117mm long) 1) BT-50 body tube (precut to 70mm long)
1) 24 inch length of elastic shock cord
1) 70 mm motor clip
1) 12 inch parachute
1) 16 inch parachute

$34.95IMG_0566.jpgIMG_0567.jpg

For those who have this kit, there is a typo in the instructions. It says to cut a BT-50 tube to 70mm. It should read BT-20.
Contact form sent to Boyce Aerospace.

I started building this last night. Found another oops in the instructions: The attachment method for the Kevlar shock cord to the main body was omitted. Got a reply from Boyce Aerospace to both issues. The typo will be corrected in future printings of the instructions. And the Kevlar should be attached by tying it around a small strip of main body tubing and epoxying it in (Centuri style).
Details:
The launch guides are the same method as the 1/100 Mercury Redstone: cut off ends of a paper clip and glue to the holes in the main body.
20191202_235102.jpg

There is a display engine nozzle, removable for flight.
20191202_235715.jpg

Although small, there are highly detailed add on parts: fin fairings, fuel loading tube, fuel drain, vernier motors, fuel junction box, and conduits.
20191202_234627.jpg
20191202_234822.jpg

Should look great after paint and decals. Having too much fun.
Laters.

Last edited:
Nice just put in an order for one myself.
Finished the Mercury Redstone.
Not real crazy about he paper clip parts though.

Yeah, not a fan either but if they don't work well I can always sub regular launch lugs. Maybe even micro rail buttons.
I used needle nosed pliers with a wire cutter. The clips supplied with the Redstone went in fine but the ones supplied with the Atlas had a clear plastic coating. I had to remove it before I could easily install the guides.
There is another part of the instructions I was scratching my head on.
This is a two chute recovery, with the main body coming down on a 16" chute and the transition/capsule coming down on a 12"chute. Instructions show a one point attachment for the Kevlar to the capsule/transition glue joint. It says to line up the shock cord line to the slot, but the slot is on the shoulder of the transition, not the glue joint at the top. ???????
Sooooo, I did a two point attachment using the slot to keep the tower safer from landing damage.
20191204_052704.jpg

Here are both new issues, primer on, side by side. Started to sand the Atlas, paint in a couple of days and decals a couple of days after that. Then glue on the aerospikes and final brush touch up (red on the bottom of the capsule and top of tower, black on the ring at the bottom of the tower). Will post final pictures.
20191204_053648.jpg

On first runs of a production model it's not uncommon to have glitches in both the design and instructions. Overall I think these are very fine models and a lot of fun to build. Already thinking about the Gemini Titan!
Laters.

Last edited:
Looking good. I will start my build during my Christmas vacation.
Also looking forward to the Gemni Titan. My 1:100 fleet keeps getting larger.

Clear fins, decals, and aerospike are on, so I'm calling this …..
DONE.
Just some minor brush work to do on the tower.
1210191512.jpg

Will give a flight report whenever I get to launch this behemoth.;)

Happy Holidays!:christmastree:

Back