Boy am I lucky or what?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVegh

Reaction score
Got a phone call this morning from a fella with a heavy accent saying I won third place in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes! A certified check for $850,000 and a 62 inch flat screen TV! Wowwy!!! I told him that I was just a bit skeptical since I hadn't entered any sweepstakes but he assured me that I had won and gave me another phone number to call to verify my winnings. Well instead of calling that number I looked up the number he was calling from, huh, I didn't know PCH was based out of Jamaica. SO while I'm on the net looking up Jamaican phone scams the fella calls back but now he has a different name and he tells me I've won 1.5 million dollars and a 2011 BMW in another sweepstakes! MAN!!!! Am I lucky or what?!? So I'm thinking to myself, REALLY? You are going to call me twice in fifteen minutes with two different stories and expect me to bite? So when I tell him, "hey you just called me 15 minutes ago with a different name and story", he asks if I called the other number he gave me to claim my PCH prize. SERIOUSLY???
I told the guy that no I didn't call that number but I have the state attorneys office on the other line if he would like to talk to them. The guy just hung up on me, that was kinda rude.

I guess I need to call the state AG and file a complaint for real and give them all of the info I have. How many ppl fall for this stuff and get ripped off? What really makes me mad is that I was going to sleep in this morning before this BH called and woke me up.

BTW area code is 876.

You are lucky.
I never win anything.
Not even a scam loto.
Anywhoo- you are a smart one not to call that #.
Good for you!!!!!!!!!

I used to get calls from "police and fire organizations" looking for $$$. The police "representatives" really have the "police voice" down pat; very convincing. At first I sent them some cash, but then I got two calls in the same week for different organizations, one police and one fire. I agreed to donate some cash and they sent me return envelopes with the same return address; red flag. I call the AG and he told me that all those calls come from only a few telemarketers and all have criminal records. He said that even though what they're doing is unethical, it's probably not illegal unless they claim to be the organization they are representing. Anyway, the one that was calling me was under investigation. Knowing the name of the real organization from the AG, the next time they called, I told him that his organization was under investigation. His voice cracked and he got very indignant. Very funny listening to him squirm :D

fill out this form , they will be all over it , and send you a certified letter of the actions they are ,or have taken .... they love this kind of info.
at the very least, you won't hear from them again.

works for any type of spam

https://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Just wondering....., but what bad CAN come from calling that number?
I don't know???:confused2:

[POW]Eagle159;282473 said:

They'll just continue with the hard sell.

We've all heard of the scams where you have won money or you have inherited money or someone has a fortune in another country and they need your help to get it. They want you to give them some money for whatever reason, and then you will get your large amount of money. One of the TV investigative reporters was going to expose one of these people so he played along, accepted their deal, traveled to another country to meet with them, brought some money, etc. They really did squirm when his camera guys popped out.

Jeff- next time just tell him to stick the 62" in the back seat of the beemer, the check in the glove compartment and park it in the extended stay area by the dock and pay Big John a $100.00 to watch the car. I'm good for it and will get his money right back to him after I pick up the car.....

I'm going to Jamaica next month, see if you can arrange a local pick-up.:D

It depends, it could be a toll number, call it and a large charge shows up on your next phone bill. At the very least these con men can become very agressive and it could start a terror campaign by telephone. I've heard of these guys not only threatening their victims and loved ones but also making threatening calls to law enforcement officials who get their way. Best to nip it in the bud right away and not encourage further contact.

It depends, it could be a toll number, call it and a large charge shows up on your next phone bill. At the very least these con men can become very agressive and it could start a terror campaign by telephone. I've heard of these guys not only threatening their victims and loved ones but also making threatening calls to law enforcement officials who get their way. Best to nip it in the bud right away and not encourage further contact.

MMmmmm I see........

One of the worse computer mistakes I've made is useing my real email address in a craigslist posting. If your going to use craigslist make-up a spoof email account. I got the "cash this $4550 check for the $300 worth of goods" scam, I called the FBI, gave them the info and check.

There WAS a thing about calling a number with a specific area code that could enable the caller on the other end to bill calls back to your number from anywhere in the world... heard that they could run up literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of bucks in calls, and basically as far as the phone company was concerned, YOU were on the hook for it... even though these folks "shanghai-ed" your phone number...

That's what I read anyway...

Later! OL JR :)

You are lucky.
I never win anything.
Not even a scam loto.
Anywhoo- you are a smart one not to call that #.
Good for you!!!!!!!!!

Scotty dog. funny you should say that, because I got some of you mail by accident today and it says here you won 1.5 million and a "once used" Saturn V..

to claim the prize just send me your SSN and PIN numbers for all your accounts and it will be delivered via Fed Ex.. ENJOY!! :rofl:

Now I remember why I NEVER answer my house phone any more... you call me you get the answering machine, first time, every time, without fail...

If I know you and want to talk to you, I'll pick up and we can carry on a conversation...

If I don't know you, don't like you, or don't want to be bothered by you, or if it's meal time, you can talk to the machine and I'll call you later (maybe).

If you don't want to talk to the machine, go pound sand... I don't care either way... you obviously didn't want to talk to me too badly...

If you're selling something, asking for donations, Dr. Sanjay Sakachit from the sleep clinic doing the 300th follow-up call trying to sell me more CPAP breathing machine supplies I don't need, or any other BS crapola, talk to the machine and pound sand, because I'm NEVER going to talk to you!

The Amish have it right... they don't believe in having a telephone in the house... it's okay to have one in their business shop, or a good old-fashioned telephone booth (usually big enough for a chair and small table for long conversations) on the corner accessible from several local Amish houses, but NO telephone in the house itself... If you need to call someone, walk down the road a bit to the phone booth and call... if someone needs to call you, they're flat S.O.L.... :D Calls to and from the welding shop, machine shop, or whatever other business shop they're running IN the shop is fine... when you're there you talk on the phone... when you go home, the phone can ring til it melts... who cares... :)

I like that... :)

PS... and the answering machine doesn't even cost me extra for caller ID... :)

Now I remember why I NEVER answer my house phone any more... you call me you get the answering machine, first time, every time, without fail...

If I know you and want to talk to you, I'll pick up and we can carry on a conversation...

If I don't know you, don't like you, or don't want to be bothered by you, or if it's meal time, you can talk to the machine and I'll call you later (maybe).

If you don't want to talk to the machine, go pound sand... I don't care either way... you obviously didn't want to talk to me too badly...

If you're selling something, asking for donations, Dr. Sanjay Sakachit from the sleep clinic doing the 300th follow-up call trying to sell me more CPAP breathing machine supplies I don't need, or any other BS crapola, talk to the machine and pound sand, because I'm NEVER going to talk to you!

The Amish have it right... they don't believe in having a telephone in the house... it's okay to have one in their business shop, or a good old-fashioned telephone booth (usually big enough for a chair and small table for long conversations) on the corner accessible from several local Amish houses, but NO telephone in the house itself... If you need to call someone, walk down the road a bit to the phone booth and call... if someone needs to call you, they're flat S.O.L.... :D Calls to and from the welding shop, machine shop, or whatever other business shop they're running IN the shop is fine... when you're there you talk on the phone... when you go home, the phone can ring til it melts... who cares... :)

I like that... :)

PS... and the answering machine doesn't even cost me extra for caller ID... :)

I'm with you on that one.

I dont think I have EVER answered our home phone since we moved in here 6 years ago.

I RARELY answer my cell phone unless it is someone I know personally. thats why I suggest E-mail for contacting me for decals. I ALWAYS respond to that.

all this new tech stuff only makes it easier for scammers and spammers or worse.

Back