Bounty hunter nose cone issue.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtgreig

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me with the problem that I ran into last night when I was working on my bounty hunter kit. I primed the nose cone with krylon automotive primer I went to start sanding it and I had a sag or a run so I started to sand it down and as I was sanding it down a whole piece flaked off of the nose cone like the paint didn't even stick to the plastic and I'm wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before and if so what they did to remedy it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS, always clean your plastic first, before sanding. I like denatured alcohol. Thought that might go without saying, but you never know. Also, never peel your tape off as Tim did in the video. Always pull it off on top of itself. If you pull it off 90 degrees to the surface, this greatly adds to the paint coming off. Good luck.

PS, always clean your plastic first, before sanding. I like denatured alcohol. Thought that might go without saying, but you never know. Also, never peel your tape off as Tim did in the video. Always pull it off on top of itself. If you pull it off 90 degrees to the surface, this greatly adds to the paint coming off. Good luck.
Good point about the tape. Adhesion promoter works well for plastic nosecones. I have used Duplicolor with good results.
Plastic adhesion.jpg

Plastic needs special prep. I like to sand so there are no shiny surfaces left. I then shoot primer, I use the same as you did, then let dry. Now sand all the fuzzy stuff off and re prime. Sand and go as normal.

I did all the normal prep before I primed that's what confused me so much. I will definitely the adhesion promoter though. thank you all so much for the help maybe I will try again tonight.

Latest posts

Back