The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m currently doing a project for my Science class. Basically, we have to design a rocket from water bottles and try to make it have the most airtime. This includes from the time it launches to when it falls on the ground, parachute deployed and all. I’ve done a lot of research but I would still appreciate guidance as I am not exactly sure of everything.

We will be using 2L water bottles. During launch, the bottle will be filled with water (I am not sure exactly how much, but I am just asking for design help here) and pressure will be applied (I’m not sure the amount of pressure but I believe 100 something?).

I am not sure if my research is exactly correct which is why I came here to ask.

For my design, I’d need help with:

- Choosing the best fin shape (during research, I found that rectangular/parallelogram fins are the best for small rockets)
- How many fins I should have
- Deciding what the size and where/what position the fins should be at and how I should go about making it
- Choosing the best nose cone shape (during research, I found that a cone-shaped pointed nose cone is the best for small rockets)
- Deciding what the size the nose cone should be and how I should go about making it
- Deciding whether I should just use one 2L bottle or merge multiple (whichever number is the best) 2L bottles to make a longer bottle rocket
- The material I should use for the fins and nose cone (the bottles are plastic)
- How much mass the rocket should be
- How much mass should be in the nose cone
- How to design the glider deploy when the bottle rocket exits max elevation

That’s about it. Excuse that it’s sort of a lot. Anyways, whoever reads this, have a great day and thank you in advance. Any help is very much appreciated. ^^

Hello!

I’m currently doing a project for my Science class. Basically, we have to design a rocket from water bottles and try to make it have the most airtime. This includes from the time it launches to when it falls on the ground, parachute deployed and all. I’ve done a lot of research but I would still appreciate guidance as I am not exactly sure of everything.

We will be using 2L water bottles. During launch, the bottle will be filled with water (I am not sure exactly how much, but I am just asking for design help here) and pressure will be applied (I’m not sure the amount of pressure but I believe 100 something?).

I am not sure if my research is exactly correct which is why I came here to ask.

For my design, I’d need help with:

- Choosing the best fin shape (during research, I found that rectangular/parallelogram fins are the best for small rockets)
- How many fins I should have
- Deciding what the size and where/what position the fins should be at and how I should go about making it
- Choosing the best nose cone shape (during research, I found that a cone-shaped pointed nose cone is the best for small rockets)
- Deciding what the size the nose cone should be and how I should go about making it
- Deciding whether I should just use one 2L bottle or merge multiple (whichever number is the best) 2L bottles to make a longer bottle rocket
- The material I should use for the fins and nose cone (the bottles are plastic)
- How much mass the rocket should be
- How much mass should be in the nose cone
- How to design the glider deploy when the bottle rocket exits max elevation

That’s about it. Excuse that it’s sort of a lot. Anyways, whoever reads this, have a great day and thank you in advance. Any help is very much appreciated. ^^

YouTube will be your best bet . Look at the examples of what has been done . Some videos are very descriptive.

Eric

This forum is for model rockets that use black powder motors or other types of motors that burn. Some people here do have experience with water rockets, so they may be able to help.

Three fins should be best as that is the minimum for stability and three fins causes less drag than four fins.

I agree that youtube will be very helpful. Search for water rockets.

Back