Bottle Rocket Impulse?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the average bottle rocket has impulse wise? They don't go that high usually under 500 ft I think. I tried googling it but I found nothing on the specifications of the motor. I am pretty sure they cant have over G impulse since you need certification to do that.

I found these really cool missile fireworks that dont even need launch rods...\

20160704_132446.jpg

And This:
20140706_124110.jpg was my first experiment in rocketry, and my first two stage rocket long before I got into model rocketry. It is a missile style firework rocket with two smaller bottle rockets duct taped to the side of it. The fuses for the boosters were set directly under the exhaust of the core stage. It went up really slow just cleared the trees and burned horizontally along the tops of the trees until all three rockets exploded confirming their ignition. It was possibly the most Kerbal Thing I have done in real life.

my guess for the typical bottle rocket would be somewhere in the 1/4 - 1/2 A range.
Rex

1) anybody with "bluegill' in their screen name is an instant friend of mine!
2) You have discovered the fine line between "real' model rocketry and fireworks. You can't even really call it 'pyrotechnics'. FWIW- the two don't play well together. It's a safety issue we jealously guard to keep our rights as rocketeers and avoid headlines of the wrong kind.
3) While your 'experiments' once a year when these products are available are fun, all of us here hope you come over to the dark side and get involved in this hobby in a safe and sane way. There is a ton of experience here and we all can pretty much answer any questions you may have. There is a deep satisfaction flying something you have built for yourself and yes, you can even make motors (with more knowledge and experience)!
4) You guessed it! I am an old dog whose been around the block more than a few times. It's expensive, time-consuming and dirty being a pyrotech, and the pay is awful. You need a well paying job to support yourself, then work for free (read: slave labour) to get your license. You pay out the nose for everything including chemicals and the tooling needed to build your own fireworks is ridiculous. Don't forget to have a pot of coffee on at all times for when the Feds make rounds unannounced to inspect your underground missile silo and safety bunkers.
5) Do have a Happy 4th of July and remember what we are celebrating and why. Know who to thank when you see a uniform-s/he probably missed being at home with friends and having a relaxing day with beer and hotdogs.

I can say from personal experience that you can make a pretty nice bottle rocket with an Estes E9 motor taped to a long dowel.

And I don't think it violated anything in the safety code. Featherweight recovery is allowed. And it flew very stable, just a bit of corkscrew.

I can say from personal experience that you can make a pretty nice bottle rocket with an Estes E9 motor taped to a long dowel.

And I don't think it violated anything in the safety code. Featherweight recovery is allowed. And it flew very stable, just a bit of corkscrew.

Are those also known as BoomSticks......

(and yes I am very aware of Army of Darkness).

Don't worry I have come to the dark side and launched and built several Estes kits following NAR safety tips very closely( I even built a 2 staged rocket from scratch as an engineering project for school. Using estes parts). I am going to order my second round of rockets witch are level 2 and 3 kits. (Load Star, new Nike Smoke, and Mercury Redstone) Once these are built and thoroughly flown I will start collecting Pro Series 2 hardware. Then I will shoot for my certification in preparation for bigger and better rockets.

Back