Boston, MA Area Hobby Shops

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re-Bar Ricky

Reaction score
Hey all, I am heading to Boston, MA in a couple of weeks and would like to know if there are any good hobby stores in the area for rockets. I'd like to find something new other than Hobby Lobby to shop at, and the Yahoo listings don't list very much. Please let me know - thanks in advance!

There is a HobbyTown USA in Manchester, New Hampshire. I haven't been there in a while but the guys there were really nice and they have a decent collection of low power rockets and motors. Again I haven't been there in a while so a phone call may be in order before you make the trek up there. Its about an hours trip from Boston. Hope this helps.

Matt

Hobby emporium in tyngsboro ma has rocketry stuff. Its on the nh border. They used to have a bunch of aerotech motors, but I haven't been in years. They even sold reloads. Hobbytown usa in nashua nh used to have a lot of low/mpr stuff...they also sold aerotech motors, mostly single use...not sure if they still do.

Hobbytown in manch is all estes. I was there about a month ago, nothing super special. There's a big hobby lobby in that strip mall now as well.

Depending on where you will be and how mobile, there might be a couple options. I am not aware of anything within the actual city limits.

In Marlboro, the Spare Time Shop carries a decent selection of Estes products.

Likewise, for Estes and maybe also Quest stuff, the Whiz in Westboro is a decent option.

Both of these are a bit of a trek from Boston proper, and, realistically, you'll need a car to get to them, although I bet both are accessible by public transportation if you're so inclined.

And if you happen to be around during a CMASS or MMMSC launch, please join us!

Hobby Fever in Billerica has motors and some Estes rockets. Selection may be small but cheap.

Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro has fantastic selection but charges list price.

AMW brings CTI and Estes to many launches, check their calendar.

Fliskits attends even more launches and their kits are the best!

Supplies like epoxy I get from Woodcraft in Stoneham.

-Alex

Hobby Fever in Billerica has motors and some Estes rockets. Selection may be small but cheap.

Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro has fantastic selection but charges list price.

AMW brings CTI and Estes to many launches, check their calendar.

Fliskits attends even more launches and their kits are the best!

Supplies like epoxy I get from Woodcraft in Stoneham.

-Alex

Agree. If you can attend CMASS and/or MMMSC launches, you get AMW and Fliskits without shipping but with plenty of valuable knowledge and great service.

I order my Estes engines on line since the prices are pretty low for some vendors and the shipping isn't too much if you order in bulk. I only get engines at Hobby Emporium if I only need a last minute pack since they charge full price. I try to get my big stuff at launches. That includes Roadrunner motors at most CMASS launches, as well as Cessaroni when AMW is there. Hey, what the heck? You're going to be flying anyway! :D

The next CMASS launch is on September 28 in Amesbury, MA about 45 minutes north of Boston just off RT 95 and 495.

This is the 11th annual Fliskits launch and there will be cake! Fliskits and AMWPro-X attend our launches and you can purchase Fliskits, Estes, and LOC kits and also Estes, Quest and CTI motors from them at the field. If you want a certain kit and can attend the launch, e-mail them so they can bring it.

Bob

Thanks for all of the info, my friends! I will be around Methuen, MA while I'm there and I will be there on the 28th, so if my schedule allows I will try to head up to CMASS on the 28th.

Hobby emporium will be about a half hour ride west for you. I live right next to methuen. Depending how close to which highway you'll be, the amesbury launch is about a half hour north east, and manchester is about half hour north. Boston is about a half hour south. Lol. So you're pretty much center.

Thanks for all of the info, my friends! I will be around Methuen, MA while I'm there and I will be there on the 28th, so if my schedule allows I will try to head up to CMASS on the 28th.

DUDE! If you're going to be here on the 28th you just gotta come out to the launch :). You will be glad that you did.

A little South of Boston is Hanover. I got my first Rocket Kit in the Hanover Mall in 1986 in whatever Hobby Store it was that they had there. Maybe it's still there?

The Spare Time Shop in Marlboro was mentioned before they have an awesome selection of Estes, Quest, Rocketarium and Sunward and a few others. They also have a great selection of motors too.
If you can go to the CMASS launch do it! Jim Flis of Fliskits and AMWPro-X are fantastic people to deal with. Not to mention the amazing club members and their rockets.

Back