Booster stage with electronic deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
Has anyone retro-fitted a booster kit to use electronic deployment? I had a LOC Terrier booster that relied on motor ejection. I had to make the ejection delay quite short (6 sec.) on a CTI I-345 White Thunder. Well, it delayed more like 3 seconds and performed a rather spectacular yard-sale, pieces everywhere on the early ejection while still climbing with authority. Prior to that, the sustainer drag separated successfully and then continued-on, on its AT H-100 DMS motor. Rather glorious, really. But I digress...

With the salvaged fin can (sans zippered section), transition cone, and some new BT and couplers, I have decided to try and put electronic deployment on it. My only challenge is, it is now about 3" longer than original. So, I am assuming it is much less to "scale" than original. The horror :eek:

How many other electronic deployment booster sections have been built out there? Love to see some cool stuff! Mine is pretty much a clod-hopper but I'm sure it will work. I could have made thing much tighter/smaller since I'm using a Eggtimer Quark to do deployment duties. My AV sled must be 4" long!

View media item 346783

You can fit a Quantum into a 4" sled, and use one channel for the parachute and the other for your separation charge. That's what I did with my Double Shot, which is admittedly a much larger booster... I stuck an Eggfinder Mini in there too. With an I345 it's not going so high that you'll need a tracker anyway. BTW, motor eject as a backup is almost always a good option for boosters up to about K, they generally don't go high enough to run out of delay.

Of my 7 two stage rockets, all have electronic deployment on the boosters. I use a RRC2 and use apogee deploy, main deploy, and leave the motor charge as is. Some have the altimeter mounted horizontally if there is insufficient depth in the bay (interstage coupler). I use the aux channel on a RRC3 in the sustainer for the separation charge.

Back