booster separation - staging

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancer525

Reaction score
Dumb question, but...

I'm looking at designing a flyable model based on a sci-fi interpretation of a future shuttle-type launcher. It has four SRBs instead of two. Are there any tutorials that show techniques for having the SRBs separate from the tank to be recovered separately, before the ejection of the nosecone of the tank? It's my intention to have all four SRBs recover separately from the tank.

Is something like this even possible at 1/100 scale or so?

Sounds like you are refering to "Parallel Staging." Advanced Rocketry Corp (sold exclusively on E-Bay) has two examples: the ARC 1318, and the 1824. Chan Stevens did a great review on EMRR. It can done. Use fast burning motors for the SRB's and long burners for the sustainer.

Theres a brief explanation and an example or two of Parallel Staging in Stines book "the Handbook of Model Rocketry" I'm sure it's also covered in Apogee's Second Stage and other publications. It's done Constantly in International FAI competition be just about anyone building one of the soviet era Launch vehicles or Ariane varients.

I designed a parallel staged rocket a couple years ago that used 2 18mm boosters and a 24mm central motor. The booster attachment and separation method worked very well. My build article on EMRR shows how it all went together. I borrowed the idea from another EMRR article, Project Omega.

For the last flight I taped a wireless camera to it and got some great video. The video is in three parts. First is the ground shot, second is onboard video in real time, and third is onboard video at 1/4 speed.

PCR rocket video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ROLNKCEuI

Orangeburg, SC? :eek:

I live in the Upstate, about 40 minutes from Spartanburg!

I so have to have you help out with my project.... :D

Orangeburg, SC? :eek:

I live in the Upstate, about 40 minutes from Spartanburg!

I so have to have you help out with my project.... :D
I'm actually about 200 miles northwest of Orangeburg (25 miles west of Asheville, NC), but it's the closest big field from here. I'm planning to go to the research launch next month, and definitely Freedom Launch in September. Be glad to help out anyway I can.

Back