Booster/pod separation during powered flight - Titan IIIe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
I finally got a good flight off of my Titan IIIE clone at Bong this weekend.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1466343698.139156.jpg

[video=youtube;k8UCxDqQvGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8UCxDqQvGA[/video]

On booster separation, one shredded the chute shrouds and one snapped the shock cord. I like the effect, but I now realize that it's a high speed deployment.

So, thoughts and tips for managing small chute unfolding at speed? I've thought about going streamer, and have gotten other ideas, too.

I have been thinking about doing the same project. You replied to my question over on YEORF. My plan is to use short delay motors on the SRBs like B4-2 or C6-3. I am hoping they will drop away as soon as they stop thrusting. I have an idea on booster attachment now. Now to decide on waiting for an open box Titan IIIE to come up on eBay or open the mint one I have in storage. I also have an extra set cones for the boosters in storage so I could build an earlier version of the Titan III like the Titan IIIC with the hand turned nose cone for the sustainer. I thought about trying to modify the Estes Titan IIIE I already have built stock but I really don't want to go there.

Last edited:
I mounted the boosters so they are attached at top and bottom. If the motor doesn't light, or lights late, the booster stays attached.

It separates when the nose pops. So if I use a delay, the booster just gets a higher ride.

The "throw money at it" solution would be a couple of the new Jolly Logic chute release devices. Pricey way to solve the problem but it should work.

BT60 boosters.

I have my own Quark Tender, based on an Eggfinder Quark that does a decent job - though it's more work to set up than a Chute release. It -almost- fits in BT60 - and will, once I figure out a good low profile connector for nichrome. But it more affordable, so I already have 2.

I've gotten tips for using spill holes and shroud rings/beads that sounds like good things to try for this size.

My Boyos want a Delta IV Heavy. Looking at BT80 tubing, so there will be more room. I'm looking at some ideas from George Gassaway's Shuttle stack for that one.

Smaller Chutes with large spill holes have worked for me. Streamers are another excellent method. Are you sure the High speed deploy snapped the shroud lines or could they have been burned off by the ejection charge or sustainer motor plumb? Might I suggest using 13lb 2-strand Kevlar as shroudlines rather then cotton or fabric thread. Since switching to this light weight kevlar thread I've not had a single snapped or burned off chute or streamer shrould line.

I get the stuff from Edmund Scientific On-line. 600yd spools are around 20 bucks. see stock # in photo below.

Great flight!

Comp Chutes-a_25mil, KevlarThread& tapestrips_08-27-06.jpg

Thanks. Time to fly higher! Except that the parallel staging would be harder to see.

The chute was torn at the corners, rather than singed/melted. And the other booster snapped the shock cord. I guess I'm lucky nothing zippered.

I picked up some thin-mil nylon chutes - to try with shroud rings. But I'm second guessing myself on that and am also thinking of big spill or streamer. It would be ironic to get tougher chutes/shroud lines and then zipper the body.

Back