BOOM XB-1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I can't believe he was able to cut that logo piece... and it looks incredibly clean.

Yes, I'm super impressed! And I miscounted, he gave me not 2, but 4 complete sets! And they all look good.

I'm considering applying a final clear gloss over the entire rocket. That vinyl will need some protection from normal handling.

Down to the final stretch, I'm going to try and get the tail artwork printed the next time I'm at the office. That's pretty much the last step.

Thanks for the post! I totally forgot that today was the reveal day. That sure does look different, and I think that they got rid of the long tail-sticky-outy thing as well. It would have been an easier paint job to duplicate, I'll try and check out the official roll out in about an hour.
I wonder about the tail sticky-outy thing. That spot on the prototype looks oddly unfinished and squared off. Maybe they'll add it later?

In any case it looks better with it... at least before it gets toasted by the rocket motor. :)

I wonder about the tail sticky-outy thing. That spot on the prototype looks oddly unfinished and squared off. Maybe they'll add it later?

Yeah, that definitely may be. In the 4th photo, it also look like the central motor is missing the tail cone, but it sort of seems to be there in the first photo. Maybe these are some preliminary sneak preview photos, and it will still get some finishing touches.

In any case it looks better with it... at least before it gets toasted by the rocket motor.

Yup! This rocket will certainly get thoroughly documented with pre-flight photos.

I just watched the video, and learned about the company and its plans. Do you plan to build a model of Overture when enough pictures are available? In the same scale?

I just watched the video, and learned about the company and its plans. Do you plan to build a model of Overture when enough pictures are available? In the same scale?

That'd be pretty cool. I don't have any immediate plans for that, but given their timeline for Overture (2025?) I could come back to this in a few years and still have a good shot at finishing a model of Overture before the real thing flies.

At the same scale might work out quite well. Maybe a bonus of building XB-1 so small is that Overture would work out to be a nice MPR/HPR size.

This was my first attempt at printed water slide decals. I managed to fit two sets of the vertical stabilizer logo on one sheet, and I needed both. They turned out to be fragile, very easy to scratch, and if the decal flexed, the toner flaked off. I also didn't get a very solid black from the laser printer. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

So, the sequence of images from initial concept/inspiration, first Rocksim model, 3D model, and final result:

boom.png

Boom.png

Boom_3Dmodel.png

PA080363_crop.JPG

And a few more photos before the light all faded away.

PA080360.JPG

PA080365.JPG

PA080367.JPG

PA080377.JPG

PA080378_crop.JPG

PA080368.JPG

Gorgeous finished product. Truly impressive!

Have you applied clear coat to the logo decals? I applied several coats of Future, via Q-tip, to my laser decals and it evened out the black quite a bit (still not perfect but much improved).

You should send that to whoever gave you the promotional image. Show them what you did with it

Yeah, I sent a few photos to the person at "press" who responded with the image. They just had their big reveal yesterday, so there is probably a lot going on.

Gorgeous finished product. Truly impressive!

Have you applied clear coat to the logo decals? I applied several coats of Future, via Q-tip, to my laser decals and it evened out the black quite a bit (still not perfect but much improved).

Thanks! I did do one coat of gloss clear. I'll let that cure for a few days, and do another. I sharpied over a few spots where the toner cracked. It shows through as a darker black, but probably less than the white would have.

Probably since I ended up doing a gloss clear coat anyway, I could have just used gloss black and white underneath. Lots of hindsight, but it was a really fun model to do.

Oh, hey, @neil_w , thanks again for the artwork. That is definitely an essential part of the finished rocket that I wouldn't have had the graphic chops to pull off.

You should also send beauty shots to Sport Rocketry. That would look great on the cover. Summarize the build thread for a supporting article.

This was my first attempt at printed water slide decals. I managed to fit two sets of the vertical stabilizer logo on one sheet, and I needed both. They turned out to be fragile, very easy to scratch, and if the decal flexed, the toner flaked off. I also didn't get a very solid black from the laser printer. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

So, the sequence of images from initial concept/inspiration, first Rocksim model, 3D model, and final result:

View attachment 434313

View attachment 434314

View attachment 434315

View attachment 434316

And a few more photos before the light all faded away.

View attachment 434324

View attachment 434319

View attachment 434318

View attachment 434320

View attachment 434321

View attachment 434323
Looks great. I know I wouldn’t look that good with a stick up my butt!

I haven't seen any MDRA dates on the calendar after this weekends launch, but I hope we'll return to Higgs Farm for November.
I know. With Tommy's passing a few weeks back, I don't know if the board has worked out the logistics of continuing there. Obviously we all want to return to Higgs but more importantly we want to be respectful of the family. We lost a good friend in Tommy. This is one time I kinda wish I was still on the board.
However things work out I can't wait to see your launch footage.

Obviously we all want to return to Higgs but more importantly we want to be respectful of the family. We lost a good friend in Tommy.

Definitely family considerations come first. I just saw on the MDRA website that Nov 14-15 will be at the Sod farm, so I'm going to try and make it down that weekend.

Very nice build!

Thank you!

I finally got around to updating the Rocksim file with the final weight and CG locations. According to the sim, it'll have just over 1 cal stability with a D24-4, adequate speed off of the rod, and a trip to about 450'.

Attachments

• Boom.rkt
    69.7 KB · Views: 2
Well, I went downstairs to do some flight prep, load motors, and that sort of thing to find that the yellow stripe on the vertical stabilizer had partially let go and the sides were hanging out in the breeze. I first attempted CA glue on one side, but that didn't bond to the stripe or the clear gloss coat. Actually, I think it started to attack the clear coat. So then I tried a vinyl glue which stuck but made a pretty ugly, stringy, bubbly mess on one side.

So then I tried the Sig clear canopy glue on the other side, and fingers crossed......

PA260510.JPG

I'm taking a cue from neil_w and also adding a song track.

Back