Quantcast

BOOM XB-1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Oof, that looks like when I came back to my Ragnarok and found all the cuffs on the wings looking like.... well, like that. Good luck with the glue, and get a whole mess of pictures before and during the flight(s)!

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, man, now I regret suggesting tape. Sorry.
No, I think it was a good idea. Definitely easier than masking and painting. The tape worked fine on the leading edges of the horizontal stabilizers. I think that the issue with the vertical stabilizer is that I had to clear coat it after I applied the water transfer decal (it was fragile). And for whatever reason this tape doesn't stick as well to the clear coat, as it did to the flat black paint. I don't know why. I also clear coated over those tape strips on the horizontal stab, so maybe that is helping to hold it down.

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There's so much asymmetry in the design, I don't know how you begin to diagnose what is happening. But it went up and came down in one piece, so it is now officially a rocket. :)

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, this rocket has literally no straight lines or flat surfaces, so probably the airfoil shape came out differently on each wing or something like that. It would have been really easy to get something out of alignment. It did more "flying" than a ballistic trajectory, I guess it is an airplane after all. But I beat Boom to get it in the air 😜 .

And thanks to Tom for the photos!

IMG_4586_crop.JPG

H. Craig Miller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is an amazing build... I can’t believe the construction skill and finish detail...

I like the “Cheaper Than Dirt” stealth rocket on the far right too.