3D Printing bonding 3D printed parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have you experimented with different epoxies for bonding 3D printed parts? If so, which epoxy did you find best for which filament/resin?

I've been using my go-to AeroPoxy, but when asked "what is best" by a friend, I reached out to MarkForged to find out what they recommend. For their Onyx (Nylon/CF) filament:

Question:
What adhesives do we recommend for joining Markforged parts?

Answer:
Loctite 401 produces a rigid bond that was found in testing to be stronger than the interlayer adhesion of the material. Loctite 4861 is best when a more flexible bond is desired, or if the application requires the glued joint to bend and flex.

Scotchweld DP-series epoxy bonds well to Markforged Onyx; choose DP-100, -200, -300, or -400 based on required bond strength and operating conditions.

Can't remember the name but there is a type of glue that melts the layer of plastic together..

I do not use Onyx, but I have found the two part plastic bonder from HomeDepot and Lowes does a good job at fusing plastic parts to include nylon.

For PETG:
SCIGRIP 16 Acrylic Plastic Cement, 2.5 kg
This is my old stand-by and works kind of like plastic model cement in that it actually softens the plastic while also acting as an adhesive.

I use JB Weld Plastic Bonder on everything printed and even build my PML quantum/fiberglass kits out of it.

One thing I've done is actually use a 3D pen to weld pieces together. The joints are a little ugly but really strong, and you don't need any special glues beyond the filament you already have. It also is great for joining parts with gaps between them, because the pen can easily just spooge molten plastic into the gaps. You do need to make sure, though, that your pen can get hot enough; you want to be welding as hot as the material can tolerate in order to make sure it melts the joined pieces. I have a pen with "PLA" (210c) and "ABS" (220/230c, I forget) settings, and I weld PLA on the ABS settings with really good results, but trying to weld PETG isn't as strong, because it can't melt the workpieces enough to fuse on really well.

Back