Bomb Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3D printed NC and transition. The rest is LOC tube. Small tube is MMT. It will blow out and come down on a streamer and pull main out with it. Bomb will come down nose first.
I like it. I've been thinking about using that fin design on a rocket, without the rest of the bomb look.
I was watching a show, the other day, about the problems they were having getting one of the atomic bombs, that they dropped on Japan, to stabilize. I think, what they came up with, was called the California parachute or something like that.

3D printed NC and transition. The rest is LOC tube. Small tube is MMT. It will blow out and come down on a streamer and pull main out with it. Bomb will come down nose first.
Very very cool! Really like the decals. Makes it look so authentic.

Would hate to get pulled over on the way to a launch and have to explain something like that!

I made something similar in 4" phenolic a few years back, but shorter. The square tail was a challenge to get right.
Mine had a red button on the end of the nose, so it was more iconic than real-life. Can't find the launch photo's, but here's the rocksim 3D rendering. Was painted light-medium grey.
la bombe 3d.jpgla bombe logo.jpg
Used a WW2-inspired pinup as logo, laser printed as a transparent sticker.

Were the nose and transition pieces something you designed or found? I can't seem to find anything online. I've been wanting to do a smallish bomb rocket for our low power field. I'm assuming the fin pieces are balsa?

I have had no issues with a draggy square fincan on my 8" Fat Man build with the largest motor flown being an H225. Stability required half of the 3 lb rockets weight being in the nose. Rear ejection is a cool look on the way down.

View attachment 440536
Hi PS. I am scratching my head on how to make sure the main comes out. Can you describe what you did? Or post a pic or 2? Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'm not the best at describing but I'll give it a shot with pic's. This is what it looks like on the way up and down:

bomblaunch.jpg
fatman.jpg

The insides on your 5.5 tube build would require a 5.5" coupler tube the length of the longest motor you're planning on using for rear ejection. I mounted the timer on the motor mount tube inside of the coupler tube. Then you need a piece of coupler tube stop so the motor doesn't crush everything on the way up. You can see it inside the main tube here:

bombrecovery.jpg

Here's how the chute is packed. It looks different stretched out but the chute's actually very close to the motor ejected pod with lots of Kevlar behind it so it has to come out:

bombtube.jpg

The chute protector isn't in the pic. Very simple and fool proof rear ejection for a bomb. I hope this helps your build.

Phil

Back